Frozen pipe in utility loft. Lagging stop short of cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I will explain this right but my garage is build front to back onto side of my house and the utility room is at the rear as a seperate room as part of my house.

Last year and this we have had a frozen pipe to the washing machine and I just thawed out the pipe with hair dryer.

The issue is the pipe is lagged in loft but where it goes down into the wall the lagging stop short and the pipe so close to eve that it pretty much taking the brunt of the -8 cold wind coming in.

Now the only solution I can think of is to either cut the lagging up and try get it hard up to the point it drops down the wall or for the 2 or 3 cm use some expanding foam to bridge the gap.

Wondering if you can tell Mr the best solution as I doubt I will ever get lagging to fully protect it but i guess I could re lag part of it and spray of foam to protect the hole it goes down.

Sponsored Links
Does the utility room stay a little bit above freezing? Insulation slows down heat loss but it might be a case of making sure the room itself doesn't drop too low with some tubular heaters or the like as well.

Solenoid valves on washing machines are a press-fit construction so when they freeze they rather unhelpfully push themselves apart as I discovered last winter.

Luckily the wash was fine 5 minutes of hair dryer on the exposed pipe in loft fixed whole thing so I am pretty sure it isolated to this very small part that exposed to cold air coming in.

Just not sure if expanding foam sensible thing to use or if it damage pipe

Sponsored Links
Foam will be fine on the pipe and wouldn't damage it, it's sold to seal around pipe gaps and you can use it for damping water hammer issues. If you can get at it with a hair dryer is it not possible to wrap some of the wrap around lagging round it rather than the foam stuff?

I found thermawrap which I away to buy I thought very least pop that on with a few wraps and quick spray on the drilled hole that pops it down my wall to seal the void air away from it.

Went with the thermawrap it was but hard getting it wrapped as the pipe was close to the wood. Git 3 or 4 loops on it and seems nicely sealed up including the drilled hole. Popped some insulation ontop of pipe and in front of the problem area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back