Full height conservatory base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening ,

Hope someone can advise me on this… we have a inspection chamber in the back garden right in the way of where the conservatory is going to be, moving it isn’t a option due to cost!

I have a build over consent providing I don’t use traditional footings as the inspection chamber connects to other properties due to being a terraced.

What I am allowed to do is such as a steel base however these are ridiculously expensive, I was wondering if the base can be timber? I will be digging pad stones for it to be sitting on and steel brackets / bolts etc.

I know having a dwarf wall will just weigh too much so it only leaves me with a full height conservatory… I can’t think of any other solution but I’m open to all suggestions ‍♀️
Many Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Not any sort of builder but what about beam and block on a walled perimeter?

I am reading your post as not permitting a large slab to be sat on top?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I probably can lay a 4 inch slab the only issue I have is that I can’t dig down the depth to lay type 1 or any sort of solid ground to cover the full slab due to the depth of the pipes lol but of a pickle really lol
Best wishes
Jake

Sponsored Links
Hi Tiger ,
Thanks for your reply, I’m open to any and all suggestions , I’ve got diagrams of the pipes and where they go… basically they lumpur house , the house to the left and two house to the right lol , the pipes run left and right from the inspection chamber… it’s just finding the best method of supporting a base and if timber would work if not sat on the ground … I did look into a steel base and they are just too expensive even if I welded it myself, I’d prefer a standard foundation and bricks however the water board have said no to that
Thanks
Jake

You have been given the options, now I think you need to locate the sewer and cost the options.

Pads with steel or wooden frame over
Ground screws
Piles & ring beam
4" raft (unlikely I would have thought)

If you went with your plans of timber on pads then what's the span?

Hi bsr,
Thanks for your message… it’s only a 3x3 metre conservatory… I’m building a single story extension however I’ve had to reduce the size by half of the length because of the inspection chamber and to move it which the water board would only do was going to cost thousands.

It’s only going to be used for the children to play in in the warmer months, I just wasn’t sure if you could use timber efficiently instead of steel… the steel base was coming in at thousands also,

I did as the water board if I could lintel over the pipes in my footings but they said no it has to be a frame of the ground on padstones.

The ground outside my house is a lot lower then the house by sound 6 inches so was thinking if I could build a base off the ground fill that with king span it may work?

I’m only used to trench full and bricks/ blocks so this is a first for me lol
Thanks
Jake

Think you'll need to consider how much weight you are putting up... and then add ' snow loading '. Remember to calculate how much weight all the finishing off and furniture etc are ... then maximum capacity . This figure is going to be a lot .... will your wooden frame work be able to take this? Also will building regs allow a completely wooden Base? I've never seen a base done solely in wood and suspect ( I may be wrong ) that building regs won't allow it. Only ever seen fully concrete or metal such as Durabase . Seen proper walls with footings and then wooden sub floors but never front and sides as a wooden base.
Remember this has to be safe for your children to be able to use Ultimately

Hi Ronnie,
Thanks for your reply, I’m not sure I’ll need building regs for a conservatory as the external door will be in place and no radiator… I’d be using rather 6x2 or 8x2 joists… it wouldn’t be timber walls as it will be a full height conservatory so where the bottom is is upvc not brick.

A quick bit of research and apparantly it is doable but just make sure your main beams ( the two side and front floor beams ) are specced high enough to take the weight ( as that is where most weight will be ) and definetly treated! As no doubt they will rot over time. I have no idea what size wood you would require
..that's beyond me lol

What type of roof are you thinking of?

Also will you need to leave access to the inspection chamber?

Hi Ronnie,
I really appreciate the time looking into that for me…it will be a poly roof as it has less weight then a wooden/ tiled one.

Yes I need to install a double sealed cover inside… it’s a total pain doing it this way more then the standard way but they don’t want pressure on the drainage and don’t want it flooding inside the conservatory through the cover which is why it has to be raised… nothing is ever simple with this house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back