Conservatory footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My dad & his friend are digging footings for a conservatory but are unsure of what's what. The conservatory is going to be 12x11feet, one side of the conservatory will be full upvc & the other two sides will be full height glass (no dwarf wall, or half upvc), also the roof is also going to be all glass. What we are hoping to find out is how deep do the footings need to be, how far from my neighbours boundary do I need to be & will they need to dig trenches & brick or is that only for dwarf wall conservatories?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will they be removing the external doors between the house and conservatory, and therefore be building this to regs, and being inspected by building control?

Gary

Hi Gary,

No I have patio doors off my living room so they will lead to the conservatory & wasn't planning on having it inspected by building control (unless required to by law of course). I'm trying to get away with a good solid concrete base but my dad thinks there's more to it than that!
Louise

The connie will sit on bricks. The bricks will require a foundation. Dig it 300mm wide and to a suitable depth, i.e. remove all dark soil or growing matter. Thickness of concrete can be as little as 225mm. No need for an inner leaf, obviously.

You can build as close to the boundary as is practical. I would suggest no nearer than 300mm, though you are entitled to build right up to your party line but this would be foolish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll pass that info on to my dad. I may post again tomorrow if that's ok (theres always something he's forgotten to ask lol).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back