conservatory: building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to (re)build my conservatory with a dwarf wall base. I am aware that to be exempt from building regs at least 75% of the walls should be glazed.
As the side of the conservatory is immediately adjacent to a fence the majority of the wall panels are in plain white upvc panels rather than glass. Can I still count this as part of the 75% "glazing" as I believe the rule is there to prevent brick accounting for the majority of the side wall structure ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
richardpy1 said:
the majority of the wall panels are in plain white upvc panels rather than glass. Can I still count this as part of the 75% "glazing" as I believe the rule is there to prevent brick accounting for the majority of the side wall structure ??

Thanks

one would think the rule applies in this case too.

Sorry, do you mean that the rule applies as in the plain panels would count as wall or do you mean that the plain panels would be OK to count as "glazing" ?

Thanks

For a building to be classed as a consevatory and exempt from b/regs, at least 75% of the roof needs to be translucent (glass or plastic) AND at least 50% of the walls should be glazed (glass or plastic)

Sponsored Links
Woody, thanks for this... do the wall panels have to be transluscent or can they be just plain white plastic ?

Richard

from the information given, it strikes me that it doesn't matter as long as 50% of the material you choose for your walls is glass. So you can make an entire wall out of non translucent plastic, as long as another wall is entirely glass, thus giving you a 50% ratio.

Assuming a wall heigh of 2000mm, than a 600mm dwarf wall means you other walls are almost 75% glass, with 50% being the minimum requirement. You need to calculate the area of those walls to see whether this leaves you enough in the ratio to allow the remaining wall to be entirely non translucent.

Gary

i thought it was to do with the glass
and the doors being external into the conservatory from the existing house room??

Technically, the 50% wall area should be translucent glazing of glass or plastic.

But I can't see any BCO having a problem with white plastic panels if the structure is clearly of framework of a style which by all accounts is a modern conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back