Adding a glazed extension (conservatory)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was considering extending my kitchen by adding a conservatory of approximately 15m2. This would entail removing most of the existing kitchen back wall.

Unfortunately I found that there are all sorts of building regs regarding this which as I understand it require one to make up the increased heat loss with improved insulation in the existing building.

The problem is that I already have insulated concrete floors, cavity wall insulation, uPVC double glazing, a 90.7% efficient boiler, boiler TRV's throughout and 400mm loft insulation so this is going to be impossible. I also intend to use the most thermally efficient glass for the conservatory.

Is my understanding of the building regs correct or maybe is there a loop hole or something such as building the conservatory in phase 1, then getting building regs approval just to knock out the wall and put in an RSJ?

Sponsored Links
Build the conservatory. Then to compensate for heat loss, stick a UPVC DG door between it and the house.

A conservatory is dreadfully poor at keeping heat in in the winter. And it is dreadfully poor at staying cool in the summer. No matter what glass you use. I suggest you have a door on it, this way you can heat / cool it when you're using it.

The use of a 300-400% efficient heat pump air conditioner will put a smile on the inspectors face too. ;) Heating and cooling cheaper than using another radiator in the conservatory.

Steve,

I already have a window and patio door in the wall that I wanted to remove. I want to remove about 4m of wall and had considered putting in folding DG doors, but they are very expensive (about £4000) and I expect that most of the time they will be open. Having said that I take your point about conservatories being cold in the winter and warm in the summer even with the best glass.

The heat pump ac sounds like a good idea. I don't know anything about them though. Have you got any links to the sort of unit that you had in mind as I did a google and got lots of different results.

TIA,

Tim

Sponsored Links
Keep the cons. separate so you can shut it off in winter or the heat loss will cost you a small fortune; you’ll need 3Kw going full chat in the depths of winter to successfully heat 15 sq/m &, as you’ve discovered, with no externally rated door between them, you start falling foul of Building Regs. Only successful way to minimise heat loss from an integrated unit is to either build a proper extension or, slightly cheaper, have a garden room; this is effectively a conservatory with a proper roof & insulation but these are more expensive &, again, if no closable doors are fitted, subject to Building Regulations.

We have 22 sq/m cons with fully insulated floor, K glass windows, insulated cavity dwarf walls & an extra thick 40mm roof; we have 4.5 Kw of under floor heating & it can still struggle on the coldest days; it costs so much to run in winter, we now close it down between November & March & I wish I'd gone the garden room route instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back