To "conservatory", or "extension", that is the question.

Sponsored Links
Untitled.jpg
Well if you look at my drawing, it is an orangery as we know them.

Orangery/Extension/Conservatory.....call it what you like, but if it's thermal separated from the dwelling then it is technically a conservatory and therefore exempt from BR.

Orangery/Extension/Conservatory.....call it what you like, but if it's thermal separated from the dwelling then it is technically a conservatory and therefore exempt from BR.
But the document you attached doesn't say that, or is that what was superseded?

Edit- comment below answers my question

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well if you look at my drawing, it is an orangery as we know them.

Orangery/Extension/Conservatory.....call it what you like, but if it's thermal separated from the dwelling then it is technically a conservatory and therefore exempt from BR

the BR rules for conservatories changed, I think in 2010 or 2013 cant remember, but the 50% glass in walls and 75% glass in roof was removed and became just 'substantially glazed'.

I used to email the LABC and say: 'this building will be substantially glazed, under 30 sq m, thermally separated. Do you consider it to be an exempt structure'.

as long as they responded yes, the job could go ahead without BR.

But is there a reason you want to avoid doing building regs?

if you build a brick built structure, having it inspected is peace of mind -especially the foundation.

That's right. The 2006 BR rules stated proportions of glass; this was superseded by the 2010 rules which give no mention of glass proportions.

I didn't know you could just email the LABC. Did you do that just for your piece of mind anonymously, or do you register and their response give you evidence that you have sought advice and got permission? I'm new to all this.

Well, I kind of planned to separate the thing from the dwelling with the existing doors and windows anyway, so this thermal separation is no compromise really. Avoiding BR saves the best part of £1000 in fees, and avoids a lot of hassle and delays, plus I can get started digging the foundations etc while under lock down.

I've already tested one area of footings. I've dug down to the bottom of footings for the house; there is a solid chalk bed and then 45cm of concrete and then the first course of bricks. So I am happy to dig 45cm down to this solid chalk bed for the orangery footings.
img_1994.jpg
img_2022.jpg

Last edited:
Avoiding BR saves the best part of £1000 in fees, and avoids a lot of hassle
Until you come to sell. It could be the best £1000 you ever spent. You need to understand that conveyancing solicitors are as dumb as brick and very greedy.

Yeah I wondered about this, but if it's considered a conservatory then what can they expect?

I didn't know you could just email the LABC. Did you do that just for your piece of mind anonymously, or do you register and their response give you evidence that you have sought advice and got permission? I'm new to all this.

I used to build orangeries for clients -so where clients wanted to avoid B/regs that's what I did. It isn't proof that the construction is exempt as the LABC are not getting involved other than replying to an email, but it allowed me something to give to the client and I left it to them to accept the risk.

In general, I preferred doing all jobs under regs as it gives some confidence as I used sub contract builders and therefore not on site often.

Just be aware that it is very difficult to get a structure to be made compliant retrospectively.

Also It looks to me as though you would have a much more useful extension if you made it open to the house -if you do it under regs, you can always do that later on (provided you can pass a SAPS)

Don't let building regs be the deciding factor, just have a Full Plans Submission made for an extension that you really want rather than building something that is classed as a conservatory just to avoid bldg. regs. If it is done properly obtaining approval and complying with bld regs isn't such a big deal for a house extension. Assuming you can afford to build it in the first place a 'proper' extension will be a better investment in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back