To "conservatory", or "extension", that is the question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a conservatory/extension, and am unsure which way to go. It will be as per these before and after drawings. I've also shown a photo of it currently.

The advantage of a conservatory is that it does not need to be signed off by building regs, but it would mean I would have to have a separation from the dwelling. I may have put in doors to separate the 2 anyway so this does not necessarily put me off.

My question is, currently the doors and windows that would separate this conservatory from the dwelling are original single glazed wooden things; does this give me justification to replace them with (like-for-like) wooden single glazed bi-folding doors, as opposed to modern external UPVC jobs? Would I get away with these being sufficient to "thermally separate the conservatory from the dwelling", since they are replacing like-for-like?
img_1993.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Extension every time if you can possibly afford it, conservatory only works if there's no sun and it's reasonably warm out.

Sponsored Links
Extension!
Unless you already have a nice lounge, kitchen/diner and do not need more lounge space, then a conservatory might be nice. But I'd probably go for more like orangery, with more walls and more roof than just conservatory.

What I build will be exactly the same either way; it's whether I decide to go extension or conservatory classification i.e. avoid BR with a conservatory but have to have thermal separation from the house.

Untitled.jpg

Is thermal separation the only thing that means BR are not involved? If you are building the same structure either way, that seems like a loophole...

Thermal separation (i.e. external doors and windows between the two), and a dedicated heating system that is independent of the rest of the house are the main restrictions on a "conservatory".

So I couldn't make it one giant open plan loving space if it were to be a conservatory, though with bifolding doors between the two it wouldn't be far off.

Got that, it just that seems like a substantial building to attach to the side of your house, and not need BR, just because your calling it a conservatory (less glass than I would define a conservatory as)

I agree. I'm not sure myself hence the question.

Apparently there used to be a (BR or LABC) definition of a conservatory, and that the walls had to be 50% glass and the roof 75%. However in 2010 this was superceded to not include any specifics about ratio of glass.

Definition of conservatory from 2010 BR

CLASS 7
Extensions
The extension of a building by the addition at ground level of—
(a) a conservatory, porch, covered yard or covered way; or
(b) a carport open on at least two sides;
where the floor area of that extension does not exceed 30m2, provided that in the case of a
conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed, the glazing satisfies the requirements of
Part N of Schedule 1.

The attached is a very interesting guide on conservatories.

Attachments

• labc_4893_techg_conservatories.pdf
    119.9 KB · Views: 150
Isn't it just.

Hence my temptation to build this "conservatory" as opposed to an "extension".

My reluctance would be that if it's a conservatory it is pretty isolated, unless you put a wide bifold or big french doors in.

I've just knocked through into an extension we inherited in our new house, and I wouldn't go back from open plan (to a certain point).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back