Fully opening top hung timber windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm building a kitchen extension to house my dining room table, and am considering window options. There will be two close together beside the table, and a narrowish path running alongside the extension outside. I'd like to be able to open the windows fully without impeding access along the path, so was thinking of top hung windows that open to at least 90 degrees. I can't seem to find any in my internet searches, and in various catalogues. The standard seems to be up to 60 degrees, but that will mean they're in the way of the path. I've also looked at fully reversible top hung, but they pivot quite low down (and would block the view to the garden) and I don't need to have access to the other side for cleaning.
Does anyone know if such a product exists, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I'd like to have them in painted softwood timber.
Many thanks,
Mandino

Sponsored Links
Surely 90 degrees mean they will impede more than 60 as they stick out further? A 90 degree opening is also less secure.

Thanks for your reply foxhole. Yes, they will stick out more, but they'll be above head height so you can walk underneath.

I'm really not sure they make hinges that open this far. I've been onto the wood window alliance website, who suggested a type of sash window. This could work, but then the actual opening is only half the size...

Sponsored Links
Just out of preference really, foxhole. I like the idea of sitting at the table next to large, unobstructed openings with a view of the garden and fresh air on my face. And the opened windows would act like an awning. Aren't there cafes that have this arrangement?
Mandino

Surely any decent window fabricator can supply friction hinges that open 90°, no different to a side hung window hinge. Although it wont be a butt hinge ie it will not pivot right at the top.

fh_fully.jpg

That hinge looks great, thanks. I was concerned that with the standard friction hinges, the pivot point is dropped so far from the top of the frame that there wouldn't be enough head height. These look like they pivot near the top though. I'll see what they say about using them for top hung.
Thanks all.
Mandino

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back