Fuse in Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of our fuse wires (cartridge) in our old style consumer unit intermittently stops power going to three sockets. This can happen when a piece of equipment is switched on or sometimes without any external influence. When the fuse is touched it appears slightly loose and power is usually immediately restored. The fuse does not seem to have blown, as slight movement of the cartridge is usually all it takes to restore electricity. On the most recent occasion there was a small amount of smoke from the fuse, but power was still restored.
What would you recommend? Is there any immediate danger? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
computer said:
One of our fuse wires (cartridge) in our old style consumer unit intermittently stops power going to three sockets. This can happen when a piece of equipment is switched on or sometimes without any external influence. When the fuse is touched it appears slightly loose and power is usually immediately restored. The fuse does not seem to have blown, as slight movement of the cartridge is usually all it takes to restore electricity. On the most recent occasion there was a small amount of smoke from the fuse, but power was still restored.
What would you recommend? Is there any immediate danger? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

you say there was smoke. this means something was burning and could cause a fire.

things to do:

1: turn off power by the main switch or external isolator
2: remove fuse
3: remove cover, exposing busbar
4: make sure the spring part is tightly together so itll good contact with fuseholder
5:check fuse for damage
6: put back together.

if problem continues, might be a good idea to call a spark

thanks andrew,

I took the fuse cartridge apart and the screws were loose
problem all sorted!!
Many thanks again!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back