Consumer Unit question....

Bazdaa said:
Err no not forgotton, fully aware actually.

So your telling me that as a landlord\owner\tenant\ whatever that someone cannot try to investigate the fault, by putting a picture together of what was on ect, before the fuse tripped. Are you also trying to tell me that I would not be allowed to try and trip the fuse again, by switching on whatever it was that tripped the switch? Surely not.

BTW - He's already had an electrician in there!

So as I said. I'm not a sparks. But I am a good landlord, and thats not something you can take away from me. :LOL:

Your being a little pedantic Baz...Of course your allowed to make initial invetsigations, however by rights your not supposed to take any action of rectify it UNLESS there is an IMMEDIATE threat to life or property.

It is a very grey area in a rented property, and to be honest I'm not sure even the authorities are sure how to apply the Act properly...Yet another example of the correct Legislation applied to the wrong environment...

As for you being a good landlord..unfortunately we all like to think we're good landlords..Bit like Tony Blair thinking he is always right...

Sponsored Links
Actually I think it's you thats being a bit pedantic here. Considering that you decided to quote acts ect!

Obviously me thinking that I'm a good lanlord is my opinion. I'm just comparing this to other landlords that I personally know and dont know.

So in light of this, I will go back to my post :p

No problem with calling a sparks in. But personally I would at least try and find the fault first. If the problem cannot be re-produced then is there a problem! Remember one has been out already.

Find out whats tripping the fuse. I might not a sparks, but I am a good landlord (in my opinion).

Bazdaa said:
So in light of this, I will go back to my post :p

No problem with calling a sparks in. But personally I would at least try and find the fault first. If the problem cannot be re-produced then is there a problem! Remember one has been out already.

You seem to have forgotten my earlier post..or simply did not read it...

Big_Spark said:
There is no point changing the CCU to one with MCB's UNTIL you have identified what is causing the fuses to blow.

Fuses are a lot more tolerant than MCB's, so it is likely that they will trip even more, that is not solving the problem as the tennants will simply keep resetting the breaker.

Should the breaker be internally damaged, as it will after being tripped regularly, then this could actually become a serious habit, you have a 50% chance that the breaker could fail on the closed (on) position, and if there is a fault on the circuit then this could be a serious fire hazard.

I am not convinced that a faulty appliance is the cause, they all have 13A HRC BS1361 fuses in the plugs, so these should blow long before a BS1361 fuse of 30 or 32 A rating as will be protecting the ring.

It is probable the circuit is being OVERLOADED and this should be investigated urgently. You need to work with the tennants and discover what they are running when the Fuse blows.

If the Kitchen and rest of the ring are common, then they may be using several high load devices at the same time and this is likely the problme. This situation should be addressed ASAP and it IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY as the Landlord.

You must invetsigate this to find out whicj ring is fusing, whther it is the only ring and what are the common factors when it fuses..

Then I would suggest you split any ring that also feeds the kitchen, the kitchen should have it's own ring, then I would suggest you replace the Consumer Unit for one utilising BS 60898 MCB's.

That is the best course of action.

Errr I think it's you thats not reading the post! Not wanting bto be pedantic and all that. But your comments came after mine.

As I said, I will bow to your a sparkie's superior knowledge, when it comes to electrics. But not when it comes to being a landlord!

Sponsored Links
Not another of them...

Stop watching this topic

Bazdaa said:
Errr I think it's you thats not reading the post! Not wanting bto be pedantic and all that. But your comments came after mine.

As I said, I will bow to your a sparkie's superior knowledge, when it comes to electrics. But not when it comes to being a landlord!

However I gave an accurate and indepth reply that addressed all the issues from the original post. I am not knocking what you said, as yours was the closest to being useful advice for the original poster..the only thing lacking from your post was your overall lack of experience and knowledge of electrical systems..and as you point out your not a Spark so that is not a critism..simply an observation.

Regarding the Landlord thing..I've been one for many years, here and in Canada..However who is better is not important to me..I have never had a serious problem with a tennant and have always ensured that i am contactable 24/7. My tennants have a phone number for a plumber to call in an emergency, so they do not need to call me for that. I do the electrical calls for the plumber as he also rents properties.

This works fine for both of us, and we generally have no real costing issues.

JohnD said:
Not another of them...

Stop watching this topic

John...and your point is...Bazdaa and I are simply having a discussion on some points, if you do not have anything to add or do not wish to read..DON'T POST...

Ye but out buddy.

Big Sparks - You've left me no where to go. Looks like I'm gonna have to fold :LOL:

On a side note. I also have a reliable plumber, handyman, and electrician. Generally once I know what the problem is, these guys (who all know each other) get the call straight away. No more questions, just give me the bill! I think it's very important to have a reliable team around you.

Thanks for all the feedback following my original question. I have decided to have a replacement consumer unit put in with mcb's. I don't think there is any fault with the wiring in the house(built approx 10 years ago) as I had this checked out and there is a certificate of inspection stuck on the cu which states it does not need inspecting again until 2007. Additionally, over the last few years I have had many different tenants occupying the house, none of which have had any difficulty with the electrics, so my thinking is that the then occupying tenants had a preference for all things electrical, They had a couple of youg 'uns and were probably using the tumble dryer, washing machine, heated milk bottles, electric blankets, you name it they had it. Also the house has no gas but electric storeage heaters. I notice that the bedrooms are heated by Creda wall panel heaters which could be linked off the ringmain. Thanks for all your help and advice, and a Happy New Year to all readers !! ;)

Bazdaa said:
Ye but out buddy.

Big Sparks - You've left me no where to go. Looks like I'm gonna have to fold :LOL:

On a side note. I also have a reliable plumber, handyman, and electrician. Generally once I know what the problem is, these guys (who all know each other) get the call straight away. No more questions, just give me the bill! I think it's very important to have a reliable team around you.

Nice chat though Bazdaa..and I 100% agree on the good team of reliable and competent tradesman if your a landlord...it is crucial to be able to trust them and their opinions...and that should always be respected with prompt payment of Bills..something many landlords fall down on I'm afraid to say...

electricalkid said:
Thanks for all the feedback following my original question. I have decided to have a replacement consumer unit put in with mcb's. I don't think there is any fault with the wiring in the house(built approx 10 years ago) as I had this checked out and there is a certificate of inspection stuck on the cu which states it does not need inspecting again until 2007. Additionally, over the last few years I have had many different tenants occupying the house, none of which have had any difficulty with the electrics, so my thinking is that the then occupying tenants had a preference for all things electrical, They had a couple of youg 'uns and were probably using the tumble dryer, washing machine, heated milk bottles, electric blankets, you name it they had it. Also the house has no gas but electric storeage heaters. I notice that the bedrooms are heated by Creda wall panel heaters which could be linked off the ringmain. Thanks for all your help and advice, and a Happy New Year to all readers !! ;)

Glad to be a part of the helping hand.

Do you know that everytime a tennant moves out of your property it is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT that the Electrical and Gas installations of the property MUST be inspected and certified, even if covered by an existing certificate.

Right at the top of this thread someone said this:
You need to check everything lines up and also that the lid fits back on afterwards.
Does the lid need to fit on again afterwards as a legal requirement in the wiring regs or is this just "preferable"?

The house I am in at uni has had one of the cartridge fuses changed for an MCB, and hence the lid does not fit on. The lid sits happily on the alarm box, and the CU is well out of the way for any prying fingers. Is this OK?

Thanks,
David

DSA said:
The house I am in at uni has had one of the cartridge fuses changed for an MCB, and hence the lid does not fit on. The lid sits happily on the alarm box, and the CU is well out of the way for any prying fingers. Is this OK?

As long as the actual cover on the wiring is in place, and its just the fuse cover thats off, its ok. There are hundreds of cases like yours, where the fuses have been changed for MCBs, and the cover no longer fits.

And "well out of the way for any prying fingers" isn't an excuse not to enclose joints and wiring! ;)

And "well out of the way for any prying fingers" isn't an excuse not to enclose joints and wiring!
Oh quite. I thought it would be fine. Just wanted to check that by "lid" it was the lid of the CU and not the fuse cover that was being talked about.

Big_Spark said:
electricalkid said:

Wee Big Spark - if you show me a tenant that has a gas and electric test after each and every new tenant (which could be at 6 month intervals) - i'll show you a liar !!

Glad to be a part of the helping hand.

Do you know that everytime a tennant moves out of your property it is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT that the Electrical and Gas installations of the property MUST be inspected and certified, even if covered by an existing certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back