wylex consumer unit and mcb's

M

mike_potts

Hi and hello everyone.

I currently have a wylex consumer unit that uses fuses, but I have been told that I can replace the fuses with plug in circuit breakers.

Is this something I can do myself or do I need an electrician?

Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Even if you do replace the fuses with MCBs, its no safer than it was before. Yes, the tripping curves are different, but you still dont have RCD protection. (unless this is afforded elsewhere)

You would be best changing the whole unit (especially it you're getting an electrician in anyway!), as it is obselete and if its brown may have a wooden back :eek:

Hi Mike
This is not for the amateur, there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration, like checking your main bonding before he can even start work. Also you might like to consider having a new Consumer Unit, probably a split-load. And if your CU is that ancient - what is the condition of your wiring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back