Replacing fuses with MCBs in Wylex unit

Sponsored Links
YOu could replace the re-wireable fuses with those,it is a notafiable job by the way and will require certification!!!

BUT that board is ancient, don't be tight treat you and your loved ones to a board that will provide RCD protection on every circuit

Not worth the money - It provides no real benefit.

Spend some more money and have a new consumer unit fitted, complete with RCD protection as well the the MCB's.

The spark will also check and upgrade your main equipotential bonding and earthing conductor too.

Fitting those retrofit MCB's is a real false economy.

Is it good money after bad, would I be better off considering a new, modern consumer unit?
A new consumer unit is the only worthwhile upgrade for that fusebox.

The plug in MCBs offer one 'benefit' - they are easier to reset than the rewireable fuse.
However fuses blow rarely, so this is no benefit at all.

If the fuses are blowing often, the cause needs to be located and fixed.

MCBs are not safer than fuses. They do not offer any protection against electric shock - they will just protect the cables from short circuits or overloads. The fuses you currently have do the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Its changing the overcurrent protection for the circuit, and therefore notifiable.
What guidelines say that?

I'm not being funny, I'm just curious as to what the difference is here compared with changing the fuse in an FCU from 13A to 5A, for example.

Its a different BS and also has different max Zs's.

Im doing a bit of work for a council at the moment, and they insist on fitting those plug-in Wylex's, along with RCDs in standalone enclosures :eek:

A new CU would surely be cheaper! :confused:

The plug in MCBs offer one 'benefit' - they are easier to reset than the rewireable fuse.
However fuses blow rarely, so this is no benefit at all.
The MCBs also make it much easier and safer to isolate individual circuits than pulling the fuse. Which is pretty handy when doing DIY electrical work.

Its a different BS and also has different max Zs's.

Im doing a bit of work for a council at the moment, and they insist on fitting those plug-in Wylex's, along with RCDs in standalone enclosures :eek:

A new CU would surely be cheaper! :confused:

they probably have worked it out that no one would nick an old wylex but a new dual rcd board would be highly desirable on the black market!!

Everyone is right; I say spend the money in the right place at the right time. This is the right time for you to change to a 17th edition high integrity consumer unit (Crabtree) or RCBO’s for each circuit. Also you need to get a periodic report done on your house at least every 10 years to check that everything is sound and correct. Readings will indication insulation breakdown and maybe you don’t have any earths in your lighting? This will go good with your house insurance if anything WAS to go wrong, i.e fire.

I hope this information does you good...

The MCBs also make it much easier and safer to isolate individual circuits than pulling the fuse. Which is pretty handy when doing DIY electrical work.

I think it is safer to pull a fuse and put it in your pocket then you have more control. I can't imagine a diyer having locking dollys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back