Wylex old push in fuse replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon everyone,

Wylex old push in fuse is gone and needs replacing. I believe they hav le been discontinued. I have attached the picture of the old fuse. It says it a 5amp fuse.
IMG-20211201-124949.jpg

My question is can this be replaced with a fuse from Screwfix? Link: https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-6a...nIb7GOPO2jcRtOZ6-NIaAhGWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's a 6amp fuse. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes. Although I seem to recall you should not mix push button & lever ones in case people are confused. I can't see how this would apply unless it is a rental property in which case you might need to have a complete new consumer unit.

Last edited:
The MCB in your picture seems to be missing the pins that one would expect on a "wylex standard" breaker.

Do you have a picture of the CU?

The MCB in your picture seems to be missing the pins that one would expect on a "wylex standard" breaker.

Do you have a picture of the CU?
It is fine right now all sorted, I took the fuse apart that is why it is missing those pins. I bought a new fuse from the link that I posted, installed seems to be fine. The old fuse was blown by bathroom mirror, I will have to look at it how it is wired cause it cut of all sockets and lights on 1st floor, I don't think that is right...

Sponsored Links
One circuit breaker = one circuit. If more than one was affected, something is very wrong.

It's not.
I am not sure how this house is wired as I recently moved in but it still has old wylex CU
IMG-20211201-164909.jpg

So I am not sure if it happened because of the humidity in the bathroom this morning as when my girlfriend tried to switch on LED mirror using IR sensor something just popped inside.
I took the mirror apart and it seems that both of these blocks were blown
IMG-20211201-122822.jpg

IMG-20211201-161628.jpg

Never had a problem with it in the last few months everything was working fine.

It is likely a transformer with remove any spikes on the supply, where if supplied direct to a semi-conductor device the semi-conductor can be damaged, however electrolytic capacitors also have a limited life, so with a switch mode power supply had to say which caused it to fail. Also most modern devices stipulate use of RCD protection, since we have no idea what is inside them, hard to say if really required or manufacturer playing safe.

But this means today we expect to see in the consumer unit both surge protection devices (SPD) and a residual current device (RCD) often the RCD is combined with the MCB (miniature circuit breaker) with a RCBO.

There is some debate on how important these devices are, and the electrical safety council in their best practice guide show fuse-box-1.jpg with the comment they can still provide satisfactory service.

Never the less you need to consider if it needs changing.
That is NOT a fuse. It is a MCB. There is a big difference.

I do see his point, with a fuse the impedance required out cause it to open circuit in the event of a fault within the required time if exceeded a small amount will just take a little longer, so maybe 0.15 seconds instead of 0.1 seconds, but the MCB is two trips in one, the thermal device will likely take 5 seconds to trip, but the magnetic part can trip in 0.01 seconds, so the loop impedance with a MCB is really important.

So yes in theory the loop impedance should be checked before changing a MCB from 5 to 6 amp or type 1 to type B, however in the real world there is no way to test a MCB or for that matter a fuse, with out the risk of damage, and you already had a MCB fitted so swapping it is unlikely to cause a problem.

However unlikely you can by a replacement mirror which does not require RCD protection.

Also this
upload_2021-12-1_19-31-33.png
is not permitted, and if done where it is clear it is non compliant the question is where else has it been done.

It is likely a transformer with remove any spikes on the supply, where if supplied direct to a semi-conductor device the semi-conductor can be damaged, however electrolytic capacitors also have a limited life, so with a switch mode power supply had to say which caused it to fail. Also most modern devices stipulate use of RCD protection, since we have no idea what is inside them, hard to say if really required or manufacturer playing safe.

But this means today we expect to see in the consumer unit both surge protection devices (SPD) and a residual current device (RCD) often the RCD is combined with the MCB (miniature circuit breaker) with a RCBO.

There is some debate on how important these devices are, and the electrical safety council in their best practice guide show View attachment 252809 with the comment they can still provide satisfactory service.

Never the less you need to consider if it needs changing.

I do see his point, with a fuse the impedance required out cause it to open circuit in the event of a fault within the required time if exceeded a small amount will just take a little longer, so maybe 0.15 seconds instead of 0.1 seconds, but the MCB is two trips in one, the thermal device will likely take 5 seconds to trip, but the magnetic part can trip in 0.01 seconds, so the loop impedance with a MCB is really important.

So yes in theory the loop impedance should be checked before changing a MCB from 5 to 6 amp or type 1 to type B, however in the real world there is no way to test a MCB or for that matter a fuse, with out the risk of damage, and you already had a MCB fitted so swapping it is unlikely to cause a problem.

However unlikely you can by a replacement mirror which does not require RCD protection.

Also this View attachment 252812 is not permitted, and if done where it is clear it is non compliant the question is where else has it been done.

Thanks for your reply. CU will be upgraded once funds will be available, as I just moved in and a lot of stuff needs to be repaired.
I opened the led power supply and IR switch and both were black inside, so they caused the failure for some reason I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back