Maintenance free junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm extending a lighting circuit to include a new set of downlights and wanted to check if this qualifies as a maintenance free junction box?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/debox-ju...7cCJWOlOpNCRYg-lY8QaAiobEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ae235.jpeg

Sponsored Links
According to https://electrical.theiet.org/media...tions-and-maintenance-free-junction-boxes.pdf the requirement is ".Equipment complying with BS 5733 for maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol (MF) and installed in accordance"* with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Screwfix don't say what the manufacturers part number is in their product description, but in the Q&A section someone claiming to be from Hylec says it is a Debox SL2.

While I can find various claims of "Maintenance free" on both Hylec's website and the websites of distributors, none of them are accompanied by a reference to BS5733. As such I don't think they are worth the pixels they are printed on. Hylec's website has a section for downloading instructions but there is no mention of the Debox SL2.

I see two possibilities here.

1. The box doesn't comply with the requirements for a BS5733 maintaince free junction box, but Hylec want to mislead people into thinking it does.
2. The people responsible for Hylec's website are incompetent.

* I am not able to reproduce the actual symbol in this post.

Sponsored Links
BS5733 isn't about MF items specifically, it contains very little on maintenance free junction boxes.

This is most of it:

MF5733.png

The rest just being descriptions of screwless terminals, various definitions of the component parts and how to confirm they comply with those descriptions.
Almost all of the MF element is due to the terminals themselves and various tests done on those terminals with movement, vibration and so on.

The parts which cover cable clamps and other general construction are the same as for everything else made to BS5733.
The MF symbol only appears in BS7671, and not in BS5733.

... The MF symbol only appears in BS7671, and not in BS5733.
How very odd.

In that case, since the conditions necessary for putting an 'MF symbol' on something aren't defined in BS7671, and if BS5733 doesn't even mention the symbol, then how on earth can any manufacturer know whether or not they may put such a symbol on a product and/or how can any purchaser of such a product marked (or not marked) with that symbol know what the presence (or absence) of the symbol actually means?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back