BG series 800 smart socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...u7X9D771miqzCdJyJthoCRqoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have bought a few of the above form amazon during the prime sale, priced around £12 each. I thought I'd fit these in rooms where I would want to control the on/off nature of the device esp TV etc to control children's habits and maybe other items.

How good or bad is BG Electrical. I get mixed reviews.

The data sheet for the above product indicates that it is a single pole and not double pole. What is the downside of that and is it light switches that are better off being double pole?

Sponsored Links
I have BG USB sockets and no problem, I used Energenie smart sockets, and were OK for first 5 years, then started to get both sockets and light switches fail, so moved to these socket-adaptor.jpg as when it fails easy enough to by-pass, also used this Energy-monitor.jpg type, but monitor only and monitor as switch, so I can see when some thing has been turned on. But in all cases there is a manual button, so be it remove or press button easy enough to turn on again, I use a socket-adaptor.jpg with wife's TV as there is it seems no built in off timer, the SkyQ turns off, but TV stays on, but most our TV's if no signal they auto turn off.

BG says their products are guaranteed for 5 years.....when you say they fail, do you mean the smart function or the whole socket doesnt work?

What is the single v double pole all about?

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
But what is single pole switching? I'm not familiar with this term.

Single pole just switches of and on the Line(Live) conductor; not the neutral.

Double pole switches both at once.

Triple pole switches three wires at once - etc.

And what’s a typical reason why someone would want a double or triple pole?

And what’s a typical reason why someone would want a double or triple pole?
I can think of no reason why a socket would need a DP switch although most manual ones are nowadays. I assume making the smart one DP would require more electronics.

It doesn't apply to sockets, but, for example, a switch to an outside light/socket or appliance might be better with a DP switch to disconnect the neutral as well to isolate it in the event of a fault.

Bathroom fans are sometimes fitted with TP switches when they have two Lines(Lives) and a neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back