Using Flex Cable outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of security lights outside, can I use this cable to run them to avoid conduit?:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-318...VDbrtCh0mdwC2EAQYASABEgJjH_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
ae235.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It is common to use the 2.5 mm² version to supply caravans, however the cable is normally inspected and wrapped up at least once a year, i.e. when one goes on holiday, same with narrow boats, cable is one hopes at least checked when it is coiled up and one moves off the mooring.

I have seen twin and earth used outside which is not an outdoor cable and it has lasted years, so can't really see a problem, the 150 mm² flex used on cranes lasts for years upload_2022-2-24_20-42-57.png so as long as there is an inspection and testing regime in place can't see a problem.

Better off using white flex, it's easier to hide. Long as it's safe from mechanical damage and correctly fused/RCD protected it'll be fine

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, it will get clipped on the back brick wall, there is already a fused spur connection inside that I can run the cable from.
Not sure it is RCD protected as it is a quite old installation and CU. I will check ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back