New CU to replace Wylex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wylex 604N consumer unit and also another grey metal wylex consumer unit , no number.

I want to replace each with a modern CU. My only problem is will the old wiring reach the new fuse positions ? i.e. generally do modern consumer units go in place of an old wylex box without too much trouble ?

PS Someone has re-wired the house in the past so all wiring is modern solid conductor.

Sponsored Links
Generally no, unless there is a lot of slack in the cables, or the ends are long, you will be looking at either a lot of crimps or a lot of junction boxes.
There is no particular agreement between makers on the relative positions of earth bars, neutral terminals etc, and the chances are in the new box it will be on the other side. Actually even the same maker may move things around in boxes of different vintages and sizes.
Best bet might be to photograph the insides, then visit a wholesalers and ask to see what they have that might minimise the hacking required. Of course if all the cables are in conduit or trunking (advert for oval conduit here) you can pull a bit more through and Roberts your avuncular relative. I bet yours are buried direct in the plaster and violin string tight - thats sods law for you, I'm afraid.
regards M.

yep - the original box is in the garage and wires go through the wall into the house with no visible slack

The newer box is better - it is also in the garage but the wires come up on the surface so I should be able to mount the new box a bit higher and create some slack.
Job for the summer !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back