Wylex board with MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A recent post about upgrading a CU referred to an "original Wylex board (which) at some stage has had MCBs fitted". My daughter has just moved into a Victorian terrace conversion which has such a Wylex board with plug-in wired fuse carriers. I would estimate 1960's. The electrical installation is about what you would expect but the cabling is PVC sheathed in twin and (unsleeved) earth. In changing some sockets, I have sleeved the earth wires and advised her to get an inspection and (at least) a CU change asap. However having just bought the flat (at London prices) she is in no position to do this immediately.

Are plug in replacement MCB units still available for these old Wylex boards? I am not suggesting this as a new CU substitute but at least she would not need to rush around looking for fuse wire.

Sponsored Links
Are plug in replacement MCB units still available for these old Wylex boards?
Yes, but they are a waste of money.

at least she would not need to rush around looking for fuse wire.
So keep it by the fuse board.

Or if you really want to simplify things get a few spare carriers and have them there, pre-wired.

Wylex rewireable fuse replacement MCBs may have a lower PSC rating than fuses, which is particularly an issue in London with its dense electricity distribution system giving very high fault currents.

OwainDiyer, excuse my ignorance but was that a vote in favour of MCB's or not?!

Sponsored Links
I would leave well alone until you have the money to replace the CU. I would have the earthing checked and tested as a precaution.

Kind regards,

DS

It was a no from Owen and a no from me too.

Spare fuse carriers are ten-a-penny and can be found in all good electricians' skips and eBay.

Make sure you check the wire of the existing carriers and any spare you get to ensure they're the right size. If in doubt replace with fresh.

And a no from me too.

They provide no real advantage and pricey at £10 ish each.

So that's three nos with only Cheryl left to cast her vote...

Alreet pet man it's a no from me too

The MCB's offer nothing apart from they're easier to reset, but if fuses are regularly blowing there's something amiss anyway, so as said, save the expense of the MCB's and put it towards the replacement of the cu.

Thanks everyone, that seems pretty decisive! No there is no problem (so far) with fuses blowing, I just saw the reference and thought it might save her fiddling with fuse wire. But the pre-wired spare carrier idea is a good one, I'll get some for her.

Incidentally, although there was an earth conductor present (and L and N were 2.5mm2) the conductor seemed thinner than I am used to in post 1998 installation, Did 1960's T&E used to have a smaller csa earth?

Roughly that period is the majority of the 1970's from the early 70s when metricisation happened upto the very early 80s when they realised that it was too small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back