Wylex Push-in MCB & Memera Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mums house has still got the old fuse wire fuses, was looking to get the Wylex push-in MCBs

on the fuses it has
30a
5a
45a

on the Wylex mcbs i've seen, they have 6a, 32a and i can only see 40a ones not 45a

is it ok to change them out?

will the Wylex mcbs fit a Memera board?

Attachments

• fuses.JPG
    fuses.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
will the Wylex mcbs fit a Memera board?
No.
There are no MCB replacements for that fusebox.

Even if they existed, fitting them would be entirely pointless.
A fuse provides protection against overloads and short circuits.
An MCB provides protection against overloads and short circuits.
There is no additional safety replacing one with the other.

That fusebox contains asbestos, and should have been replaced several decades ago.

Sponsored Links
No.
There are no MCB replacements for that fusebox.

Even if they existed, fitting them would be entirely pointless.
A fuse provides protection against overloads and short circuits.
An MCB provides protection against overloads and short circuits.
There is no additional safety replacing one with the other.

That fusebox contains asbestos, and should have been replaced several decades ago.
oh, ok, i'll see about getting it replaced

With my mum it came to a head when poor eye sight plus dementure resulted in her thinking the red neon on an extension lead was it going on fire, and she put it in a bucket of water.

It was clear needed RCD protection, and the wiring was too old, so needed a rewire.

To be fair realised it needed a rewire before, but dad said I am not living in a building site you can do it when I'm gone.

So step one is measure the insulation resistance, or the earth leakage, you need to know if an RCD will hold in, no good after new board fitted finding some circuits are US, need to know before you start.

It is easy on here to say you need a new consumer unit. But in real life you need to consider more.

There was no way I could have my mum in the house while being rewired. So it was done when she went into hospital, and then care home. Clearly today that has dangers, so you need to plan when and what will be done, and also consider how the home can be used if a RCD trips.

This house all RCBO as to reset means walk outside and down steps into the flat under the house to reset, which if icey has some danger, so I want to be able to leave it tripped until safe to reset. Also RCBO is less likely to trip.

What we should do is measure the leakage first, but I have never had a clamp on meter that will measure less than 100 mA so I cross fingers and trust to the lord. Not really an option with old people, I.e. older than myself.

the house was built in the very early 70s, hopefully the wiring is ok, it's all twin & earth

I know a couple of sparkies, i'll get one of them to look into it

Just bear in mind that the likelihood of nuisance tripping will probably increase, will your mum be ok re setting, a mate of mine lives about twenty miles from his mum and she is having a spate of nuisance trips so he has to regularly make the journey to re set, thats put paid to his habit of having nightcap

I should have swapped my in laws CU years ago but as FIL got worse with dementia the thought of the lights tripping and the resulting panic sort of outweighed any benefits

Mmmm. RCDs not the panacea people seem to think.
Indeed. As I recently wrote, if one forgets 'requirements', those people (or regs!) who get excited about perceived potential problems/'dangers' associated with having several circuits protected by the same RCD would not have that issue to worry about if there were no RCDs at all!

Happy New Year (whatever that means under the prevailing circumstances)!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back