consumer unit fuse to mcb

dsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a consumer unit with wylex single bladed wire fuses fitted can you buy mcb,s to plug straight in as a replacement

Sponsored Links
yes

There always some on Fleabay. The ones with a push button are the older model, the flick switch is current. Try to pay £2 to £3 incl postage per switch. If you buy them singly the postagw ill mount up.

Be sure to buy them with the coloured shields included as they will not fit the old plastic shields from your fuses.

When you fit them, be sure to turn off the main switch first. Don;t remove the CU cover.

When you pull out the fuseholder you will see its pongs go through two slots in a plastic shiels which has a retaining screw.

Remove ONLY ONE screw and take out the shield (this will expose the busbar so it is very important you turned the power off first. Put in the same colour shield from your new MCB and tighten the screw (use an insulate screwdriver as the screw might touch the busbar). Fit the maching MCB with its copper prongs through the slots. Then do the next one.

The reason for doing them one at a time is so you do not put the wrong sizes in the wrong holes as might happen if you have several open at the same time.

Most Common colours:
White - Lights, 6A
Blue - Immersion heater 16A
Red socket ring or cooker, 32A

If you do not feel confident that you understand it get a qualified electrican in.

Sponsored Links
dsr said:
why would i need a replacement cover

The MCBs are a bit deeper than the fuses so the cover that you take off when you change a fuse will not fit back on. You may be able to attach it loosely. It is possible to cut a hatch in the cover to let the MCBs poke through, but they are then exposed to anyone brushing against them (or, if under the stairs, knocking them when hanging coats up). This is more of a prob with the push button types as they only need a light touch on the button to trip off.

In my mother's house I fitted a translucent plastic cover made from a Wilkinson's sandwich box(!)

If you are careful you can cut the lid like this:
wylex2.jpg

But like John said it is dead easy to catch a breaker and trip the power off by accident

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back