mcb'ss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one here, are Wylex Mcb's compatable with a MEM consumer units?

Reason i'm asking screfix kindly gifted me a £20 voucher,and would like to get rid of the fuses and replace with mcb's.(they only stock wylex)

Sponsored Links
Which Wylex mcb's and which MEM breakers are you talking about?

Don't try mixing makes of MCB and Consumer Units.

They may LOOK similar with their DIN rail mountings, but have small tolerances in their connections, which can give rise to overheating and start a fire.

Be safe - always use matching makes of MCB in a consumer unit.

MB some breakers are identical..........................................................

Sponsored Links
my local trusted electrical outlet say they cant get mem mcbs anymore but can still get wylex so presumably they are different
but I dont no.

There are so many, that's why I originally asked which board they were for.

MEM breakers are still made in at least two different guises, one of which is Memera 2000. Of course there are many older types which are obsolete.

From my experience, Alto (WF's own brand) breakers for example, fit GE Siemens and Steeple (Denmans own brand) boards. And they fit perfectly before anyone asks! No problems with connection whatsoever. I I've just completed my 500th trouble-free replacement CU! Not that I'm crowing!!!

Thanks for the input so far , securespark it is a Memera 2000 CU, and either type C or type B mcb's.

Would I be right in thinking B or C is the Din rail shape or am I way of track there.

Ali

"Type" refers to the characteristics of the MCB ie how it reacts to loading. Type B is for domestic/comm and type C is usually for industrial and special applications. You want type B.

As for whether the Wylex breakers are compatible, I'm not sure cos I don't have a Screwfix cat at the mo.

I shall have a look in my garage and see if I can compare the two. Hang on......

If your Wylex breakers are the NSB range, then they are different. The MEM breakers have a spring clip at the top, and the Wylex at the bottom. They way they attach to the rail seems different. And I think the attachment to the busbar at the bottom is different, too. Sorry!

Yes, they're NSB breakers. So it seems they are not compatible with MEM 2000.

Than's anyway Securespark, looks like I'll have to clear a space in the toolbox and buy myself a new toy with the £20 voucher

No worries.

You could always rip out your MEM gear and replace it with Wylex...only kidding!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back