PROTEUS / WYLEX MCB COMPATIBILITY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am looking to add a 40 amp MCB to my old Proteus board (for an uprated 8.5kw shower - cable already done in 10mm) , but can't get hold of a replacement MCB for it.

The current types in the consumer are 6 amp M6 , and 32 amp M6.

One person told me that Wylex NSB40 is an equivalent. Another person told me to use a Wylex NB40.

Can anybody confirm which of them is compatible (if any), or does anybody have experience in the past from fitting the Wylex MCB's into the Proteus who can shed some light on the subject. The board is from the early 80's, but was looking for a quick neat upgrade, save adding seperate consumer and henley's etc.

Sponsored Links
If I was looking for a Proteus MCB, i would have a look on Fleabay. You often see people who have had upgrades done, flogging old consumer units and MCBs, there is not much to go wrong with a second-hand MCB unless it had had to break a short-circuit or been hit with a hammer.

BTW if you write to Wylex, ask for a catalogue, and you may be able to visually compare an illustration to your old part. Look at http://www.electrium.co.uk/download.asp#pos_wylex or try
Mark.Lagoe (at) electrium.co.uk
(I hope he doesn't mind me passing on his email) who was very helpful when I was asking about a retrofit RCD kit for a Wylex Standard.

It does look quite similar to the NB type. Measurements of the Proteus M6 breakers are
Height: 75.5mm
Width: 17.6mm
Depth: 64.7mm
Type 2
Max Terminal capacity in: 10sqmm
Max Terminal capacity out: 10sqmm

Can you let me know if your NB is close to this, then I will know whether to order one up or not. Thanks

Sponsored Links
the problem i'd have with buying MCBs second hand is its very hard to safely test a MCB. you'd need something that can deliver a lot of energy very quickly without damage and can safely cut it off again if the MCB fails the test.

You can still pick these up from some CEF branches. I know CEF Irvine has them 01294 212 000.
These are the old proteus that were copies of MEM mid-late 90's boards.
They only go up to 40A

That is the reason I use MK consumer units.
My mum has a old MK sentry consumer unit from 1984. I can use new MK MCB's and a retrofit kit to make them fit.

You pay more for MK, but you get something that is future proof for a longer time.

wylex equally seem pretty good, you can still get breakers for thier old standard and NN ranges (though i've heared there are some issues with some NS breakers not being a brilliant fit in some NS boards...).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back