Wylex NB Type 2/Proteus MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

first post here and was wondering if anyone could help me in my quest to locate what seems to be a near phantom mcb!!

basically my sister moved in to a new flat and I found that the shower has been fed of a 10A MCB.. the circuit is protected by an RCD which is guess is a plus :unsure:

Its the old Wylex type boards with the NB Type 2 fuses and I'm finding it really hard to locate a suitable MCB, as far as I'm away Wylex don't make 45A fuses in this model although I have been led to believe that Proteus do?? and that these will suit the Wylex board. I have however had no luck finding even a hint of a 45A Proteus MCB to fit this board :(

Can anyone shed any light as to if these actually exist/where to get one
or any other useful info that would be great!

Not being lazy here but I'm genuinely getting sick of the sight of failed search results!

Sponsored Links
have a look on ebay. You will not be impressed at the price.

What rating is the shower? Are you sure it can't go on a 40amp? It's certainly 4x better than the mcb its on now :LOL:

Does the shower actually require a 40A supply?

Is the wiring big enough to be supplied by a 40A device?

If it is for example a pumped power shower then a 10A supply will be more than enough.

I would assume if it needed 40/45amp and was installed on a 10a, people would have been having very short showers since installation

Sponsored Links
Something told me I wouldn't be :rolleyes: tried to use eBay as a last resort but i think ill have to bite the bullet!!

The shower is rated at 10kW and although I'm happy that the shower would run on a 40A MCB I'm quite pernickety about it!

I would assume if it needed 40/45amp and was installed on a 10a, people would have been having very short showers since installation

Oh yes lots and lots of tripped, although from what she's telling me it's actually allowing her some what of a decent wash :eek:

Is the wiring big enough to be supplied by a 40A / 45A device?

The wiring is only 6mm, I told my sister that I'd like to increase the cable to 10mm but it's a newly fitted bathroom and she really isn't going for the idea, I investigated further and from my knowledge I'd say the circumstances are favorable to get away with the 6mm if she's intent on it staying

The run is around 6/7m and through inspection the cable is clipped directly on to the joists and not run under any insulation

Please hit me if I'm being naive??

The wiring is only 6mm, I told my sister that I'd like to increase the cable to 10mm but it's a newly fitted bathroom and she really isn't going for the idea, I investigated further and from my knowledge I'd say the circumstances are favorable to get away with the 6mm if she's intent on it staying. The run is around 6/7m and through inspection the cable is clipped directly on to the joists and not run under any insulation ... Please hit me if I'm being naive??
The length of the cable is not relevant but, as you say, if it's all 'clipped direct', then 6mm² cable is just OK for 45A, and fine for 40A. Do I take it that you're certain that it's 6mm²? - I ask because it seems very odd that someone should intall such cable (adequate for the shower) and then connect it to a 10A MCB!!

Kind Regards, John

Yes definitely certain of the 6mm, couldn't find the logic behind it either when I first seen it, the wiring looks a good few years old anyway and from what I can gather it looks as though the previous owner wasn't around long after the new bathroom was fitted and so just stuck the shower circuit in to any available mcb on this case it was the 10A

Please hit me if I'm being naive??

I can't reach... ;)

But I'll agree with John. That'll be fine for 40 or 45A the way it's been installed.

I can only guess that maybe when it was first installed it was a pumped shower on the end of it and the guy threw in 6milli to make it futureproof (in those days, 6 milli was probably considered futureproof for showers).

Or it could be that they didn't know what shower they were gonna have, so 6 milli was put in to cover any eventuality.

The proteus does fit, but its one of the older range that is still available, though dont know whether they made a 45 amp.
Have you tried contacting CEF they should know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back