Proteus type B single pole mcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, a quick question i'm hoping somebody can answer.

Has anybody used an alternative make to the proteus single pole type b mcb fitted in a proteus consumer unit?.

I've got a few faulty proteus type b's to change out (not switching off, 2 not turning on - all due to mix of damp and chlorous) and really don't want to deal with cef unless necessary. (cef are pretty poor here)

I've heard wylex being used inplace of proteus but purely as hearsay.

Just wondered if anybody has tried wylex,hager,abb etc inplace of a proteus and if anyones had any success. ;)

Cheers in advance :)

Bolty.

Sponsored Links
The old Proteus MCBs used to be the same as Wylex NN MCBs, not sure on the newer ones
The only real issue with mixing MCBs is that that the unit will not be fully type tested hence is a bad idea
If you have issues with moisture / chlorous etc then you really ought to consider a higher IP rating of consumer unit anyway, something that is more suited to the environment so swopping the lot is omo a better idea.

Proteus have been known to be used to replace old discontinued wylex ones, in old wylex boards.

Most Proteus are widely available and its advised to use them in a proteus board

Looks like a consumer unit change would be the best bet (was coming round to that idea anyways - don't like proteus at all) but thought i'd suss out if there was a quicker alternative. (time pressures and all that)

the moisture / chlorous isn't usually an issue as tubular heaters keep the temp up but i'm still busy with the aftermath of the winter weather and only now getting access to places to see what the damage is!

Cheers again

Bolty.

Sponsored Links
I've seen Hager MCB's used in Proteus CU's on more than one occasion, only visually so i have no idea if they are a physical match or not. As already said its not advised to mix and match differnet makes.

whoops forgot this

“Customer service is top of my
list and if something isn’t
working, we fix it.

tell him he might have to do the rest of the estate.. :D

Bz mate, you need to repost this in the right thread.... ;)

If you still need the proteus mcb's I could sort some out for you and post them out.

I work for CEF in Selby (not all branches service is the same) and I'm back at work Tuesday.

If you need them, ring me on 01757 701178 and I'll sort a decent price out for you.

Rob

Thanks for the offer - much appreciated. :D
After being called out again to the site early hours this morning due to mains fail alarm for the cholorus dosing pumps (caused by the d/b main switch beginning to fail), i've now replaced the proteus d/b with an MK & all is well again. (not fun having to change in the dark at 2.15am - but lucky i had sourced a replacement sat morning :cool: ).

Thanks again

Bolty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back