Wylex fuse change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I moved into rented accommodation and there was an 8.5kW shower fitted. On first use it tripped the fuse in the MCB after about 3 minutes. The fuse fitted was a 30A Type 2 Wylex.

The landlady had an eletrician come round and they replaced the heating can in the shower with a 7kW rather than improving the circuit board, much to my annoyance. They said they don't make those fuses any more. I had an electrician come round to see what could be done and he told me that the cable is a 6mm so would be able to support a 8.5kW shower and the shower unit is maybe 8-10 metres from the MCB (next floor up and one room to the left).

I will have an electrician do all the fitting and checking but does it sound like I would be ok to go ahead and purchase a type 2 nb40 40A fuse (that i have managed to find from a couple of suppliers) so that the 8.5kW unit can be used in there again?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Stop.

You don't know enough and it's not your property.

Speak to your landlady and explain what you want. Tell her to try using the electrician that you spoke to, by all means, but please don't go buying components for a job you don't understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back