Upgrading an Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help. My shower currenty a 7Kw Triton has just packed up after 15 years. I would like to replace it with a upgraded electric shower of 8.5kw. however i am confused with the consumer unit and what i can put in or not. the consumer unit is a WYLEX 606 6 Fuses and 60A Switch. I believe I would have to upgrade the fuse rating to 40A Will the Main switch be able to do the job or is just as well to go for a another 7KW shower.

Sponsored Links
Don't be a cheapskate!

Upgrade your consumer unit to a split load RCD type.

Best to upgrade your shower cable to 10mm when your'e at it

Then redocorate the house :D

Mmmm the house has only just been decorated so i wouldnt like to go there so really we have to either get another 7KW shower or upgrade the consumer unit and shower and cable and redecorate the house

Pre planning springs to mind. Would you have your head gasket replaced on your car and then decide to replace the piston rings?

Sponsored Links
Thats a bit uncalled for you dont change your shower every time you decorate your house do you

Another thing worth checking before upgrading shower size is the rating of the electricity suppliers knockout (on the suppliers fuse before the meter).

Yep. The 606 has to go. The older Wylex boards with switches of less than 100A were never designed for circuits above 32A.

Plus you need an RCD for the shower at least, so you may as well go for split-load.

While you're at it, get the REC/DNO to change the meter, cut-out fuse and tails between the cut-out and meter, if necessary. Also, while they're there, if the main earth comes off the sheath via an earth clamp, get them to change that too.

Hungryheppo said:
Thats a bit uncalled for you dont change your shower every time you decorate your house do you
No, but I do think very hard about whether it would be a good idea to do any electrical work first on a "what if" basis

e.g. last year I decorated a couple of bedrooms, and I installed the cables for circuits for aircon units in case I do get some in the near-ish future.

ban-all-sheds said:
Hungryheppo said:
e.g. last year I decorated a couple of bedrooms, and I installed the cables for circuits for aircon units in case I do get some in the near-ish future.

Of course these circuits were fully installed last year, weren't they, just leaving a DP switch with flex outlet to wire into, now we are under part P

*cough*screwfix*cough*thread*cough*

Of course they were fully installed, and tested, last year.

What are you suggesting? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back