Split Load Consumer Unit

Hager make just such a board.

Or you could use two separate boards.

Or you could use RCBOs.

Sponsored Links
hi

I wonder if you can give me some advice. I am renting my property and have had to have an electrical check carried out on wiring and appliances. A "reputable" company sent one of their guys round and everything checked out satisfactory except..... because the supply to the property is coming in above ground ie. over the back door and into the house, then the property has to be protected by a split load consumer unit......according to the electrician. He could supply/ fit one for around 450 pounds or we could go through his company and pay more plus VAT.

Therefore I have 2 questions:
1. Is it mandatory that I have this kind of consummer unit fitted just because its an overhead power supply into the house

2. I know you can buy one of these units for around 70 quid.

What should I do and what are your thoughts on this matter

cheers

Shane

ban-all-sheds said:
Or you could use RCBOs.
I wondered when will some one mention the option of RCBO's, in my opinion this is the most practical(not cheapest option) I am not talking about TT.

Albert said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Or you could use RCBOs.
I wondered when will some one mention the option of RCBO's, in my opinion this is the most practical(not cheapest option) I am not talking about TT.
2 years ago!

CHINASHANE please dont put your topic in 2 places. One is sufficient, there are at least 30 good sparks on this forum (and me), one is bound to see it. And I have replied to the new topic.

Sponsored Links
I have an overhead TT supply to a bungalow. The CU is split load type. The built in 30mA RCD protects lights and most circuits. On the non-RCB side are RCBOs which protect the shower & main 6mm radial serving the sockets.
This seems to work well with the RCBOs discriminating and I've never had nuisance tripping problems.
HTH

MK split load unit perfect for the job ...

www.effectivesoftware.co.uk/DIYNot/Images/Kitchen/mkcu.jpg

TT Installation

100mA TD RCD protects installation and 8 circuits
2 Ovens
Office computer equipment
Fridge
Freezer
All lighting circuits
Smoke alarm
30mA RCD protects
4 separate ring mains

These are a joy to install and it's easy to get the tail in with the flat busbar :LOL:

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back