Fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have diming lights in all my rooms. A few weeks ago 2 lights blew within a week of each other in the bedroom. These have now been replaced, however the main lighting fuse in the fuse box keeps blowing. This specific fuse powers lighting in the bedroom, toliet and bathroom.
I thought that this could be happening due to the new bulbs but I have taken them out but it the fuse keeps blowing. Each time the fuse goes i leave it for a few minutes then I flick the switch back to normal. Is this the right thing to do?
Any ideas, help to why the main lighting fuse keeps blowing?
thanks

Sponsored Links
This is happening as you have a fault. It is not a good idea to keep resetting the breaker with the fault still there. When does it trip, when the lights are on or with all of them off? Does it trip immediately or after a short time? It could quite easily be something heat related or something which has been disturbed, your best bet is to ask your friends if they know a reputable electrician which can come and take a look.

Hi there
The fault happens when the lights are on in at least 2 out of the 3 rooms. It doesn't happen straight away but after about 30-45 mins. We moved into the flat about 5 months and it was completely gutted before we moved in. It is really strange as we have had no problems before and it has only just started happening.

How many lights are there? What type of light? What sort of wattage each? What current rating does it say on the MCB - B6?

Sponsored Links
bedroom - 10 lights
bathroom - 3 lights
toilet - 2 lights

they are all spot lights with dimmers, each light is 50 watts

Sorry, where would I find the MCB - on the lights or on the fuse box?

The MCB is the device in the consumer unit (fuse box) which trips

Saying that, the total load for 15x50w is just over 3 amps which shouldn't be a problem. Are they mains halogens? Is there plenty of space above for the fittings to disperse heat? I'm thinking it could easily be something overheating. Best get someone in tbh.

yes they are mains halogens. there seems to be enough space. If it is a problem of over heating would an electrician be able to sort it easily and cheapily?

right, easy to rule out breaker, that may be the problem.
change it to a new one about £3
or if you have two lighting circuits swap cable from one breaker to the other if problem moves to the other circuit you know its the breaker gone oversensitive.
if its not the breaker i would change the dimmer in the room where you had the light bulbs blow, change it to a simlpe light switch as they are cheaper if it turns out to be something else
hope this helps, this is what i would do

right, easy to rule out breaker, that may be the problem.
change it to a new one about £3
or if you have two lighting circuits swap cable from one breaker to the other if problem moves to the other circuit you know its the breaker gone oversensitive.
if its not the breaker i would change the dimmer in the room where you had the light bulbs blow, change it to a simlpe light switch as they are cheaper if it turns out to be something else
hope this helps, this is what i would do

I think when the OP asks
Sorry, where would I find the MCB - on the lights or on the fuse box?
it's not a good idea for him to delve into the CU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back