fuse protection on radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i understand that if i wanted to create a new radial circuit off a 30a fuse which is already supplying a ring main,the new sockets (3) on the radial have to be protected by a 20a fcu.What will protect the length of cable (2.5) from the cu to the fcu before it gets there ? does it need any ?

Sponsored Links
Where were you thinking of buying this 20A FCU? Nowhere i know sells them. Like a long stand or a tin of tartan paint.

You should use larger cable that can handle 32A (4-6mm²) before the FCU.

Bear in mind, this is a fused spur from that ring main, not a radial.

Sponsored Links
each circuit should be connected to its own fuseway at the distrubution board, can't remember the number of the reg that says this.

if you want to do what you want to do, then you can take a spur off the ring circuit at the DB and if you take this through a 13A FCU (as crafty says, no such thing as a 20A FCU) you can supply as many outlets as you want, not really ideal though :confused:

Advise you install a 20A radial circuit on its own fuseway, or insert your new sockets onto the existing ring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back