Fuse rating from wire CSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in my hand a 60A BS3036 fuse.

To me the fuse wire looks too big to be 60A

I have measured the wire and calculated the area to be 3.08mm², and would like to verify if this is really 60A fuse wire.

Is there anywhere which gives wire rating based on the CSA?

Sponsored Links
I have in my hand a 60A BS3036 fuse. To me the fuse wire looks too big to be 60A I have measured the wire and calculated the area to be 3.08mm², and would like to verify if this is really 60A fuse wire. Is there anywhere which gives wire rating based on the CSA?
The pic below is part of a spreadsheet on my laptop - can't recall where it came from. If it's correct, it suggests that your intuition is very right (and I would thought the same). Admittedly, the rating of the fuse will be well below the 'fusing current', but, even so ....!!

Common sense suggests that 3.08mm² conductor cannot possibly have a fusing current anything like as low as would be needed for a 60A fuse, given that 2.5mm² cable is effectively rated rated to safely carry about 39A (27A * 1.45) for at least an hour (clipped direct).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ah ha!

According to my verniers, the wire is 1.99mm dia. so I guess that'd be 100A fuse wire then :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back