Fused Spur Blows when Heating Switched On !! Water Works OK

Sponsored Links
i thought you had an elecy coming out ?
maybe best to wait for him or it will cost you a fortune in fuses.

Yeah, he is coming this afternoon..

Just want to get it sorted !

Only blown about 3 or 4 fuses..

Just tested the programmer and that is sending the lives out on HW and Heat when switched on..

Think I am going to have to leave it now.. Did the wiring in the junction box look right ?

its getting abit awkward now not seeing the job and just testing bits we've already done.

Sponsored Links
I know, I feel like I am going round in circles with it..

Just hope that there is a short somewhere that the electrician finds easily!

There can't be much left to replace really.. just the pump and stats..

you proved the pump was ok as it still tripped when disconnected.
and its only on heating side it trips.

not now..

that is how it was before I replaced the actuator yesterday..

now the spur trips as soon as you switch it on. that is still the same with the programmer switched off (ie, not calling for HW or Heat). I changed the actuator back to the old one, and it is now setup exactly how it was before, but it is still tripping out ?

That is why I can't get my head round it.. it *should* work for HW but trip when the heating is turned on. But now it just trips as soon as you turn the spur on. The fault does not lie with the spur, as it is fine with the programmer disconnected.

I have wired the programmer up to a plug, and it works fine.

I suppose my next port of call is to wire up the boiler an see if that trips the fuse ?

have you checked the spur cable to programmer and behind the spur if its tripping without any calls on for hw/heat

have checked all the cables for continuity between spur, programmer and boiler. All seem fine, and I can't see any signs of a short. However, I imagine (hope) this maybe where the fault lies..

can you wire it up to an extention lead and not use the fused spur and try it.

yeah, good plan..

will be an hour or so though as I have to pop out..

thanks for advice, I will post results in a bit !

ok-wink.gif

bit odd this, however..

I wired the boiler up directly to a 3pin plug, and that worked fine.

I then wired the programmer, whilst in situ to a 3 pin plug, rather than the spur. It turned on fine. HW came on, thought I would try Heat, but that fused it like before. Put another fuse in, then it was blowing fuses as soon as the power was on again. Wired it back into the spur, and it is working for HW only again. I am guessing there is a short that is behind the programmer, or even the programmer wall plate itself. but that will be checked soon enough when my electrician comes. However I still have the problem of the HW, no heating ? Should I now put the new actuator back on and try my luck ?

Just letting the tank fill at the moment, electrician should be here in the next half and hour or so..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back