Fused Spur Blows when Heating Switched On !! Water Works OK

i would just leave as it is for now till he comes.
as you say very strange it is pointing to a bad connection etc on programmer

Sponsored Links
I hope you have got the appropriate wiring diagram for your setup from the programmer manufacturer that he can work from?

if not you may be able to download one from manufacturer website. but when I tried to get one from the Invensys/Danfoss it was too small to print so they posted me one.

Sponsored Links
We have finally sorted it..

... and the culprit was the NEW programmer !!

It has been putting out a live for the heating, regardless of what is said on the front (auto / off/ allday). So with the knackered actuator on, it was blowing the fuse straight away.. (the relay must have welded itself when it blew the fuse). Think the initial fuse blowing, maywell have been from what I can only describe as a slight "dodgy" connection on the neutrals to the programmer wall plate. I have now teminated these three wires into a terminal block, and just have one wire leading upto the wall plate, which seems alot more secure.

New actuator on, and the heating is basically on all the time.. so we are, for the time being controlling it via the room stat. The HW works fine.

I am now going to look for a new programmer, but it won't be a danfoss.. Think I may go for a honeywell, as they seem to get fairly good reviews..

Thanks for all your help, in what has been a total pain in the ass !

:D

You'll have a good chance of welding the relay contacts in a Honeywell too, if you put a dead short on it.

I can't see why Danfoss are getting the blame here. Your problems seem to be installation defects.

In all honesty mate, there is no evidence that a dead short has been across it.. The last one blew for sod all reason. We replaced it with this along with numerous other parts that failed at the same time, and now this has blown too.. It would be entirely fair to blame the fault on the programmer rather than anything else..

The connections that I was referring to have been fine for four or five years, so I can't see them being the sole cause of any fault.. They were more of a PITA to fit, rather than a obvious short.

Having had faults with this setup for about 5 weeks, I have read ALOT on the web, and most of refers to problematic Danfoss components. You can have your view, and I will have mine. But a four year old system should not be requiring this level of work. I know where I shall be spending my money in the future, and it won't be on Danfoss kit.

Well, 'Mate',

If I owned Danfoss, I would also be encouraging you to buy Honeywell. :rolleyes:

Don't really see why you have chirped up being an arse, after all I was saying was thanks for peoples help, letting them know what had happened and the cause of the fault.

Pretty sure that this site is designed for people to share their knowledge and help each other out (like many have).. Can't really see that you have had anything valuable to contribute, other than snide remarks. If that is what gets you by, then good luck to you.

least its sorted now.
the programmer was a suspect all along.

ok-wink.gif

I fitted a Drayton SM2 to my mother's system recently, incredibly simple and intuitive to operate, no sophisticated electronics, and you can set heating and HW separately to off/twice/once/24hrs or advance to next setting.

44a8_1.JPG

they still make them for us Luddites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back