fused spur off a cooker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-installing a kitchen and replacing an electric cooker with an electric oven and a gas hob.

The new oven can be wired into the existing cooked connection OK but I need a connection for the gas hob ignition.

Can I run a fused spur off the existing cooker switch (which is combined with a 13amp socket) to connect up the hob?

I'm assuming I will need to run min 10mm T&E from the cooker switch to the fused spur and then from the fused spur I can continue with 2.5mm T&E onto a connection plate somewhere behind the new hob.

Does all this sound OK. Failing this I will have to run a spur off the nearest socket currently without a spur which is quite a distance.

Many Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
It would be better to run it from the socket but if not practical then do it from the cooker switch.You only need to use 2.5 mm to the spur(3A fuse) & 1.0or1.5mm to the hob if it is only for ignition. You should have a cooker connection unit between the cooker swich & oven.

Thanks for that. Yes there is a cooker connection plate behind the existing cooker which is fed from the cooker switch.

Mike

You will need to check your oven instructions carefully. Electric cookers with 4 rings required a big supply (each ring can consume as much power as an oven) Cookers are usually connected to a 32A or 40A breaker via 6mm or 10mm cable.

Ovens on their own often come with thin flex and a 13A plug. You cannot just cut the plug off and connect it to a 32A or 40A supply. If you did and a fault occurred the flex to the oven could melt and start a fire long before a 32A breaker tripped.

Sponsored Links
I'll check when its delivered but if it does have a 13amp plug can I just downsize the fuse rating at the fuse box and still use the existing wiring?

Mikejf said:
Can I run a fused spur off the existing cooker switch (which is combined with a 13amp socket) to connect up the hob?

I'm assuming I will need to run min 10mm T&E from the cooker switch to the fused spur and then from the fused spur I can continue with 2.5mm T&E onto a connection plate somewhere behind the new hob.

You assume correctly. Use the same size cable (or larger) as that which is supplying the cooker switch. Alternatively you could replace the MCB at the consumer unit with a 16A MCB and fit a double socket in place of the cooker switch.

Davy

I've just checked and yes the oven is supplied with a 13amp plug.

As I now don't need a cooker switch can I replace the cooker switch with a dual box and wire in 2 x fused spur connectors to connect to the hob and the oven. Then down the MCB to 16amps?

Thanks

Mike

if all your doing is puting fused spurs on there aint much point changing the mcb as you will only be resticted up to 13a on the fuse in the spur

Good point.

But the idea of installing 2 fused spurs would be OK?

Thanks

Mike

Should be no problem... 10mm T&E from fuse box to first fused spur then 2.5mm everywhere else.

Mike

if your changing the cable size within the circuit (pre fuse) then you must downgrade the mcb to a 16/20a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back