Fused spur or DP Switch to loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a spur off the bedroom 13a ring to the loft. I want to break this spur and fit a switch in the bedroom so that i can turn the power on and off to an appliance (dehumidifier) without having to go up to the loft every time. Which of these alternatives would be best - is there a reg that applies?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand the layout but

you can use a Switched Fused Connection Unit or a 20A Double Pole switch.

A switch is better than pulling a fuse if you are doing it often, use a FSU

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, would a fused switch unit be better than a DP switch then? I'd prefer to use the latter if possible. (I have a newish RCD consumer unit).

It doesn't matter if you only have one socket (it can be a double socket) or appliance on the spur.

If more than one a 13A fuse must be used.

Yep - just the one double socket in the loft, thanks for the quick an clear advice.

Any reason you prefer not to use a dp FSU? For the price difference you may as well, then if you decide you need more sockets you can just add them.

Any reason you prefer not to use a dp FSU? For the price difference you may as well, then if you decide you need more sockets you can just add them.
Sort-of true - but I doubt that, if the OP did ever decide to add more sockets, he would want them to get disconnected from power whenever he switched off his dehumidifier! Somewhat of a re-think of the wiring and switching arrangements would therefore probably be needed if he wanted extra sockets.

Kind Regards, John

A pretty pathetic reason - the wiring up from the bedroom socket at present isn't quite long enough to reach to the top FSU terminal and all FSUs i've seen seem to have a weird configuration of terminals (i'm sure there's a reason for it). A DP switch has two at the bottom and two at the top (+earth) which will fit in easily and save me threading through a longer cable. No point in making extra work for myself :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back