Fused spur location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding a 13 amp fused spur of a radial circuit that is spured from the 32 amp mcb of the final ring circuit. Can the fused spur be located at an accessible point in the loft rather than the bedroom. Is this permissible or does it need to be accessible in the room?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A spur, fused or not, is a branch from another circuit.

If you mean the spur runs directly from the 32A MCB in the CU, then, yes, the Fused Connection Unit may be anywhere on the spur as long as it is in a position to protect everything it should.

There are two types of circuit that originate from a consumer unit
Ring or
Radial

You cannot have a “radial circuit that is spured from a final ring circuit”

If it is a single cable that connects to the MCB that is also where the ring final connects then it is a spur and can only go to ONE place.

You don’t want the FCU in the loft. Put it next to the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
I'm adding two sockets to a bungalow bedroom, because of the way the ring is routed and the loft being boarded, could turn into a bigger job than it needs to be. As there is an existing redundant 2.5mm radial from the CU to a junction in the loft I intend using it. I don't really want two mcb's for the sockets (though it would be easier), I intend moving the existing radial from the 20 amp mcb to the 32 amp final ring circuit mcb. I would prefer the fused spur to be positioned in the loft because the two sockets will be positioned on either side of the bed at a height above the bedside cabinets.

Hope this makes thing clear.

Last edited:
As there is an existing redundant 2.5mm radial from the CU to a junction in the loft I intend using it.
Ok - so it sounds just right as it is.

I don't really want two mcb's for the sockets (though it would be easier),
Why not? It is totally unimportant - and could indeed be advantageous.

I intend moving the existing radial from the 20 amp mcb to the 32 amp final ring circuit mcb. ]
Why? It is just right as it is.

I would prefer the fused spur to be positioned in the loft
You do not need a Fused Connector Unit. A spur is a branch from a circuit.

because the two sockets will be positioned on either side of the bed at a height above the bedside cabinets.
That is not a valid reason for an unnecessary accessory.

Making changes in the CU is a notifiable job.

Moving the existing cable is unnecessary creation of work, changing the existing junction box to a fused connexion unit is an unnecessary expense and all for no advantage.

Thanks for all your replies, it's appreciated.
I fully understand your points, the fact that I would be creating unnecessary work etc, so decided to take your advice and just go with the radial option. The only reason that I was considering the other was to avoid having two mcb’s for the sockets where potentially someone (in the future) may perhaps switch off the ring not realising the two bedside sockets were still live. Will label the radial ‘Bedside Sockets’.

My 1965 home started out as a single ring with only 3 or 4 sockets and multiple spurs, many of which incorrectly had several sockets.
When I rewired (actually reconfigured retaining much of the existing cable) I created 2 rings and 5 radials, 3 of which are in the same rooms as rings.

My 1965 home started out as a single ring with only 3 or 4 sockets and multiple spurs, many of which incorrectly had several sockets.
When I rewired (actually reconfigured retaining much of the existing cable) I created 2 rings and 5 radials, 3 of which are in the same rooms as rings.
Thanks. Reassuring to know that.
This property is 1970’s previously owned by a qualified electrician. In the time of my ownership have uncovered many bad electrical installations. In the kitchen, the oven and hob were wired to a suspended in ‘mid air’ junction, spurs on spurs with no fused spurs, the CU unit wire up incorrectly, and cables routed outside the correct zones; unbelievable really. I suspect that many of these are due to kitchen and bedroom installers but being qualified, I would have thought that he would have noticed or checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back