Aqualisa Digital Quartz - Electrical Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon.

i have been gifted the above shower and was wondering about the electrical connection. The installation manual states:

"Connect the processor power lead to a double pole 3 amp fuse switched spur incorporated in the fixed wiring circuit, in accordance with current wiring rules. Ensure that this is located in an accessible, dry location and not in the bathroom".

I already have a shower feed (fused spur) in the airing cupboard that our current electric shower is connected to which comes from a 30A fuse in the fuse box. Question is if i put a 3 amp fuse into this spur, can it be used to power the control unit?

Many Thanks
Beachyuk

Sponsored Links
I already have a shower feed (fused spur) in the airing cupboard that our current electric shower is connected to which comes from a 30A fuse in the fuse box. Question is if i put a 3 amp fuse into this spur, can it be used to power the control unit?
Well. the answer is yes, - but, out of curiosity, what rating of fuse is in it at the moment and what does it supply - shower pump, power shower or something else?

Hi, thanks for your response. Not sure what fuse is in the spur at present. It is supplying a power shower transformer at present.

That's probably 3A as well.

When you said "if i put a 3 amp fuse into this spur" I thought you meant there was a 13A in there at the moment and wondered what you had.

Sponsored Links
Yeah could have been clearer..... i'll have a check tonight and see whats in there. Thanks again for the advice.

The installation manual states:

"Connect the processor power lead to a double pole 3 amp fuse switched spur incorporated in the fixed wiring circuit, in accordance with current wiring rules.

I wonder why it says that?

Any external fuse is to protect the cable not the appliance which should be internally protected. 3 amp fused switched spurs are not available or compliant in 26 EU member states.

In answer to my question: because the manufacturers don't know what they are talking about.

Not disagreeing with you this time, winston, but, seriously, why do they say it?

Did someone first write it by mistake and then everyone else thought "Oh. That's a good idea"?

Did someone first write it by mistake and then everyone else thought "Oh. That's a good idea"?
That's how the diagrams showing zone 2 including a 60cm radius from a bathroom basin occurred.

It was originally issued as guidance to manufacturers by the LIA, suggesting some types of light fitting should not be installed there due to the risk of splashing water. Someone then decided it was part of the BS7671 bathroom zones, and everyone else just copied it. Now it's everywhere, even though it is wrong.

How many people here have ever seen that drawing, or heard/read about it, showing a human "tongue map" with areas that detect bitter/sour/salty/sweet?

It was wrong when it was first produced over 100 years ago, and it's been reproduced ever since then. And it's still wrong.

It was wrong when it was first produced over 100 years ago, and it's been reproduced ever since then. And it's still wrong.
I don't know if it ever got rectified, but I remember my Chemistry teacher drawing our attention to several alleged 'chemical reactions' (I certainly can't remember which!) that had been perpetuated through generations of textbooks, but were not actually reactions which happened!

Don't forget - in this particular case the circuit is only protected by a 30A fuse.

Not disagreeing with the concept of fusing down from a 30 amp ring in the 2 EU states (maybe 3 Malta) that use them. But the instructions to use 3 amp as if it is to protect the appliance when 13 amp would do.

25, surely? Are they not used in the Republic of Ireland?

I've lost count of the number of EU states. I guess Malta uses them as well.

Actually rings are not generally installed in the IR these days though not illegal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back