Wiring TV spur using 10a 3 gang switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need to wire a spur for the TV to the bedroom wall. I have a live 13a spur in the loft I can use.

Thing is I want to keep the fused spur and double socket out of sight behind the TV but need to be able to switch it off easily.

There is a double light switch that powers the bathroom light and fan in the right position. Question is can I replace this with a 3 gang, common the bathroom light and fan as they are now using the lighting ring and use the 3rd switch to route the 13a independently to the TV fused spur with a 5a fuse in it ? (Pic attached)

I've seen grid setups that would probably be a better solution, but are a bit industrial looking for a bedroom.

Thanks
Mark

full

Sponsored Links
Where to start?

Firstly:
Is there a neutral at the light/fan switch?
If not then you will need another cable from loft to switch so may as well have that cable from loft to sockets.
What about other cables the TV will need?

If using the light circuit (almost certainly not a ring; ring is not another word for a circuit) then you don't need any more fuses.

Why do you want a switch for the TV socket?

If there is a neutral at the fan switch you may as well connect the tv socket to that.

Otherwise run a 1.5mm cable to it to switch the live for the tv switch.
And run a supply to the fcu would be best

Bring the supply cable down to a position just above the bottom of the tv.
Fit the switch there so you can slip your hand behind and turn the switch off.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Need to wire a spur for the TV to the bedroom wall. I have a live 13a spur in the loft I can use.
Tell us more about the 13A spur in the loft.
Is it a spur off the ring circuit?
What is it already being used for?
Is it protected with a FCU?
Etc.

It's not the nicest way to do it but you can legitimately change the 2G for a 3G switch but depending on the existing spur you may not require the extra 5A FCU

Thing is I want to keep the fused spur and double socket out of sight behind the TV but need to be able to switch it off easily.

There is a double light switch that powers the bathroom light and fan in the right position. Question is can I replace this with a 3 gang, common the bathroom light and fan as they are now using the lighting ring and use the 3rd switch to route the 13a independently to the TV fused spur with a 5a fuse in it ? (Pic attached)

I've seen grid setups that would probably be a better solution, but are a bit industrial looking for a bedroom.

Thanks
Mark

full

Hi,

Tell us more about the existing spur:
Is it a spur off a 32A ring circuit?
What is it already being used for?
Is it protected by a 13A FCU?

Your plan is basically sound, not the prettiest to add the TV system to a light switch but perfectly legitimate. Depending on the current useage of the spur you may not need the additional FCU but if it is used the fuse could be bigger, up to the rating of the switch and would be better like this:
upload_2020-4-27_23-12-2.png

Thanks
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back