Fused spurs used for sockets & lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope someone is able to advise/help on the following.
I have to install 2 new wall lights that need to be independently switched.
On the same wall there is a socket which is on the ring main, which I need to run a feed from to a new socket 8 feet away, and I understand I have to fit a 13A fused spur next to the existing socket and then feed the new socket.
i.e. Exisitng socket>>>13A FCU>>>new socket.
Could you please advise the best way to take feed from this arrangement to the 2 new light switches? (then obviously onto the lights).
Many thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I assume there is no easy way to get power straight from your lighting circuit. In which case you can either:

Run a single spur to your first 13A fcu. From the load side run a cable to your new socket and then on to your lighting fcu. In this second fcu fit a 3A fuse. You only need unswitched fcus.

or:

Split the ring main at your existing socket and then extend it to include your new socket and the new fcu so that both are on the ring. Use the new fcu for your lights. This is the better option. You'll need to find some slack in your ring main or use crimps to extend one of the ring legs.

From your lighting fcu then run 1.0mm cable to your double light switch. Don't go up to the lights and then back to the switch as some people are proposing on a current discussion!

Thanks Spike... I understand what you are saying..but I need 2 seperate switches either side of our bed and I hoped I could use switched FCU`s as the light switches. I can easily take the feed for 1 FCU from the new dbl socket..do I take the feed for the other one from the load side of the 13A unswitched FCU? I appreciate I need 3A fuses in the 2 new switched FCU`s.
Many thanks again

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use fcus for switches (or at least the first one, then use the load side to feed the second light switch). You'll probably regret it though as fcus are a much heavier and noisier switch to operate and don't look too nice either. You're better off fitting an fcu at low level by the socket and then run cable to the switches from there. If you're running a spur off your new socket, you must protect the new socket with an additional 13A fused spur otherwise you can overload the cable. To avoid this, maintain the ring through to your new socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back