Fused wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The socket to the kitchen fan extractor has a little red light to show when it is on.The socket is next to the fuse box and appears to be on a circuit of its own.
I have only recently notice but the red warning light is flickering quite a bit and I assume that it should be changed
I have a 13 amp fused plug which does not have a red warning on light (not really needed)which I intend to use.
Earth connections are pretty obvious but regarding the two cables from the fan unit do they go on to the 'load' or 'supply' connection on the plug.(I can then work out the others.)
Cheers
David

Sponsored Links
Err - plugs don't have Load and Supply terminals.

plug.jpg

What have you got?

Sorry not making myself clear. Its not a plug as such but a socket to screw on the wall. On the front there is an on/off switch and a little compartment to pull out the fuse

The wiring to be completed to the back of the socket will have to be connected to N Load L Supply L Load L Supply together with 2 connectors for the earth wires

Hope this makes it clear(Not bright -as in brains-enough to relay picture
Cheers for help
David

What you have there is known as a fused connection unit (FCU for short). The cable which once went from the consumer unit to the old 'socket' should be connected to "Supply". The fan goes to "Load".

It sounds to me like your old 'plug' is itself an FCU but with a light in it. If this is the case, a flickering neon light is no big deal so there's no need to change the thing at all.

PS: If you do change it you'll need to fit the right sized fuse; probably 3 amp.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Great news if I don't need to change it because there is not a lot of cable to work with. My wife is convinced that the light has been flickering for the past 17 years so I guess she was right all along. I only noticed the situation yesteerday when I had to untrip a switch nearby.
Thanks for your help guys
David :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back