2 queries about socket and switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am replacing all socket and switch covers in my home to chrome versions. In the kitchen... 1) Washing machine plugs into socket under worktop but has fused switch above counter. When I originally rewired it and flicked the switch, the red led light came on as you would expect it to. Then I rethought the load and feed and rewired it to the old way(corresponding to the diagrams i drew), but now when I switch it on the led light is only dim?? please help with this.
2) the extractor fan fused switch. This works perfectly but the led light is on permanently whether switch is on or off. Fan works fine, on and off.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
1) Washing machine plugs into socket under worktop but has fused switch above counter.
No need for fuse above worktop as there is one in the plug.
Just fit 20A switch.

Then I rethought the load and feed and rewired it to the old way(corresponding to the diagrams i drew)
Don't know what that means.

but now when I switch it on the led light is only dim?? please help with this.
Could be loose connection or the actual neon has come out of its position or wearing out.

2) the extractor fan fused switch. This works perfectly but the led light is on permanently whether switch is on or off. Fan works fine, on and off.
You have wired the supply and load the wrong way round.

Yes, sorry, 20 amp switch above worktop for washing machine. I wired this mixing load and feed neutrals and the led light worked fine when switched on.(realised afterwards when looking at my diagram) Then after learning a little more as I go, I rewired it using the diagram I drew of how it was wired to the old switch. So after replicating the old wiring in new switch, the led is only lit dim (was fine before when had load and feed neutrals mixed up).
I will swap load and feed round for the extraction fan, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ok. So the extractor fan fused switch is next to a double socket. 2 twin and earth coming from socket side and 1 twin and earth coming from above. The one from above is obviously the load from the fan. So I take it I wire both lives, both negatives from the socket side to the 'in' or feed?
Thanks for help

The fan is the load. Switch will say Load on one side and input/feed/source on the other. Two wires from fan go to L and N on load .

Ok the fan is sorted. But... The washing machine switch only lights up the neon dimly. I plugged an extension bar in to the socket but bar did not light up when switched on. I have loads and feeds correct. Can't figure it out, especially now there's no power coming from it. Any ideas? (efl, the neon is on sealed unit, chrome fitting brand new)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back