Gainsborough Ambassador with Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house that has a Gainsborough Ambassador thermostatic shower mixer installed. The issue is that when trying to use the shower the temperature will vary from very hot to very cold throughout the duration. This is less pronounced if the central heating is on at the sometime & is very bad when the heating is off.

I have taken the front off the unit & can see that it has the pink cartridge designed for combi boilers fitted so I would assume it should work properly. It does look quite old so is there a simple way to know that it is definitely knackered?

The boiler is a Puma 8e & normal hot water & central heating works fine.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i guess this is becasue the boiler is cycling on and off due to lack of demand?

you could test this by turning on the shower and standing next to the boiler. you would hear it clicking on and off if so.

is the hot on the mixer fully on? or maybe even try turning on a hot tap slightly.

You are completely correct; the boiler goes on & off at certain points during a shower. What does this tell us?

that showers on combi boilers are ****e..?

have you tried leaving a hot tap open a little to create demand and stop the boiler switching off?

Sponsored Links
I tried it last night by leaving the hot tap on the bathroom sink open a little & it seemed to work 100%; as I assume the boiler stayed on during the whole of the shower. Is there a permanent fix to this at all; or is this just the way it is?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back