Gainsborough Shower - No water?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have a gainsborough energy 2000x shower which has been working great up until around 20 minutes ago :(

The shower head has an on/off switch (prevent dripping) and was in the off position...my daughter went for a shower...it didn't work..so she tried repeatedly until it stopped making noises :(

So..now the lights come on..but there is no noise, and no water from the shower (I have removed the head to check).

I have an identical spare shower unit which I replaced when it stopped heating..so hopefully I will be able to salvage 1 working shower from 2 broken ones, else I need to look for a new shower which, due to incredibly bad diy skills, and lack of finances (can't afford to re-tile) will need to just slot onto the existing fittings...maybe all gainsborough showers are the same? Maybe there's likely to be something on ebay to just slot in?

Advice welcome and appreciated before I start to smell :D

Sponsored Links
......The shower head has an on/off switch (prevent dripping) and was in the off position...
That sets the alarm bell ringing with me.... Outlet blocked = no water flow through shower = overheating = popped thermal cutout.

It's usually a bad idea to block or restrict the outlet from an electric shower, as they rely on the water flow through them to stop them overheating.
Is the shower head the original one supplied with the shower?

Edit - Just had a look at the wiring diagram. http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/gainsborough/energy-2000x.html
I would investigate the solenoid valve. That should open and allow water through regardless of whether or not the heater works.

Thanks, TicklyT.

gonna go have a look now....hopefully swopping the valve (which i think you're suggesting) will be within my ability :D

had a look - removed the valve from the old unit - not gotta turn off the water and have a go at swapping over :D

OK.

Solenoid valve swapped over...I now have running water through my shower :)

...but it's very hot...and turning it down doesn't seem to make any difference...so what else is likely to be broken :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back