Gainsborough Shower Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP, THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD!!!
After 2 years of trouble free operation my 10.5kw Deluxe Gainsborough Electric Shower no longer works.
I am getting no hot water through, the power is on.
When I switch the unit on water does not come through the unit, even with the power off?
I can only get water through the unit by switching another tap on in my house???
For the past week I have had to switch a tap on to get water through the unit, then the water would heat up. Today the water will not heat up?
There is no kink or blockages in the hose / shower head there are no blockages in the water inlet.
I have removed the filter element and it is spotless.
I am absolutely stuck as to why this is happening. I can understand why you could have no hot water (showers knackered perhaps!) but I cannot understand why water will not flow through the unit (with either the power on / off) until I switch another tap on in my house.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
Possibly the inlet valve is being held shut by water pressure, so when you relieve the pressure (by opening another tap) it opens and the shower works. Once it's got going, does it stay on? If so, the electric valve probably needs replacement.

Many thanks for your speedy response.
Yeah, when the water comes on it stays on.
Does this mean I now have two faults on my system or are they both related?
i.e. A defective water pressure valve and some sort of water heating problem - because even when I can get the water through is still does not heat up

Talk direct to the manufacturer. For a shower of that age they should be able to supply parts and probably the details of a local service agent.

Sponsored Links
I have just spoken to Gainsborough and they have confirmed what I suspected from the one diagram that I hold - there is no inlet valve on my shower!
From what we've worked throught together I believe my thermal cut out may have gone (no hot water) but neither I nor Gainsborough can explain why I have to switch a tap on to get water through my shower system.
My shower is fed directly from my cold water supply - If anyone can explain this I would be eternally grateful. PLEASE HELP, THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD!

Can anyoner offer any advice on this - otherwise I'm looking at £95 to get Gaisnborough out. Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi,
do u have details on how to contact gainsborough? i have 3000x shower , that has always had problem.....temp adjustment works but not ok... on low setting all adjustments too cold, on medium setting , temp goes up to 4 or 5 lights, too hot on all settings, on high ...too hot when adjusting to get it cool enough water virtually stops.
alan

Hi,
do u have details on how to contact gainsborough? i have 3000x shower , that has always had problem.....temp adjustment works but not ok... on low setting all adjustments too cold, on medium setting , temp goes up to 4 or 5 lights, too hot on all settings, on high ...too hot when adjusting to get it cool enough water virtually stops.
alan

sounds like you have a problem with the water flow control valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back