Galaxy G2 and Raspberry Pi

Hi GalaxyGuy, I wonder if you can help.

I've created the circuit above, but when I check the output it's only around 1v rather than 3.3v

Instead of wiring the circuit up to the triggers, to track down the problem I've connected it directly to a 12v battery, and the output from the circuit was 3.2v (perfect).

I've checked output on the trigger pins, and they're 13.3v as expected.

I'm struggling to understand why when connected to the battery the output of the circuit is as correct (3.2v), but when connected to the alarm system, it's a really low voltage.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I managed to get this working, but I had to swap out the 3k resistor for a 30k (20k+10k) and then 1k resistor for a 10k. This dropped the voltage down to 2.6v which is enough for the Pi to detect. It was suggested the using the smaller resistors may have put too much strain on the supply hence why I was getting such a low reading.

For the time being I've setup a raspberry pi connected to an intruder trigger, with the polarity set to negative. A java application runs as a daemon on the Pi and listens for a change on the pin. If it's positive it sends out an email to multiple email addresses to let them know an intruder has been detected. Once voltage drops back to zero (when the system in unset), another email is sent out to confirm the intruder has been cleared.

A bit basic, but so far there's something working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back