Galaxy G2 to text my mobile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finished installing my G2 +44 alarm last week after ironing out the final problems. All works well but I would like it to text me when there was an alarm trigger. I have a Virgin phone line and a Virgin mobile.From what I have recently learnt the panel uses the tap protocol to send the message. Ideally I just want to be paying for the odd text message in an alarm situation. Is this going to be possible as I seem to be finding everywhere I look that this type of messaging is/has being discontinued. I just have the standard built in modem not the GSM module.

Sponsored Links
I look that this type of messaging is/has being discontinued.

It is going to/has been.

Text messaging for a reliable notification is as good as expecting a shoe thrown 100 meters to hit a squirrel on the nose.

Not seen Honeywell CPIB No : 39 March 2012 then?

SMS Functionality from Galaxy Control Panels Using PSTN

https://www.security.honeywell.com/...ity_from_Galaxy_Control_Panels_using_PSTN.pdf

Chris, you do have a few options still open to you:

o You can pay someone to upgrade your panels firmware and then connect to the Vodafone TAP service. Although, as most people will be shifting to this TAP service, it can be expected to become more clogged up and more unreliable than it was previously.

o Since you have the G2-44+, you can purchase a GSM module for the panel and then run with a PAYG SIM card. You'll probably need to be quick though, as Honeywell aren't selling the G2 GSM module anymore. Since the GSM path isn't using the on-board PSTN MODEM to dial a TAP message center, the service is much more reliable (the same as your mobile phone SMS).

o You can purchase an Ethernet module and use a low cost Self Monitoring option.

Sponsored Links
Not seen Honeywell CPIB No : 39 March 2012 then?

SMS Functionality from Galaxy Control Panels Using PSTN

Yep, but still hit and miss in my books. Get a speech dialler.

Hi SD

If I were to go GSM route, configuration seemed to be ringing ARC first.I can't remember what I did, I think just took out account number and centre number and it stopped doing this, am not with alarm or manual at moment. I just want to confirm it possible to text without calling out first before I go spending any money, as I say still undecided.

As before, SMS is hit and miss.

How much clearer can I make it?

Try the "pro" forums rather than DIY and see what is said there ( probably see my replies there as well, which will be the same).

SMS is a cheapskate unreliable method.

Only one manufacturer makes a claim it is efficient. And they run their own servers.

Anyone noticing the pattern here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back