galvanised hinge on featheredge gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to build a featheredge gate. It will have a frame constructed of 4x2 and 2x2 timbers and then have featheredge boards nailed to the face.

this gate will open outwards (the side the featheredge is on), where and how should I fix hinges please?

Also, I assume I have to have a post on my brick wall to fix the other part of the hinge?

Sponsored Links
i personally would use say 6x1 gravel boards in a "z" type construction
you dont really want planed timber on a gate it will expand and contract a lot so you need a design to accomodate this

thanks. I was planning to use treated 4x2 and 2x2 for the frame. Does your suggestion still apply?

also, what do you advise on the hinges since my gate will open outwards?

I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide on the hinges with this type of gate please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @big-all. I'm happy with the heavy duty hinges but do they need to go on the face of the gate given that it is opening outwards and are you proposing that I screw the hinges on the featheredge boards? Clearly, the wooden frame will be situated behind the featheredge but I am struggling to understand how the mounting on uneven surface will work.

you place them on the cladding into the frame including at least one coach bolt if security is an issue
you may want to turn a bit off feather edge round if theres a big gap between screwhole and surface

how about if I screw the hinge to the frame (flat surface) and then featheredge on top of this? Would this be a neater solution?
It will mean that I can't get to those hinge screws unless I yank off the featheredge boards...

you would have to either sink the hinges into the frame or pad out the frame where there are no hinges to give a flat surface
also with the cladding forward off the hinges it can effect how wide it will open

ummm...
didn't consider the opening restriction and my mind is hurting to comprehend this. Would it make a difference if the door was positioned towards the outside of the post as opposed to the middle of the post?

if the gate is on a say 3ft fence post attached to a wall or fence about centrally on the post face i would not expect a problem up to say 110 degrees it certainly wont go flat unless the hinge pivot point is further away on the face than the cladding

That's fine for me as it cant go flat anyhow as there is a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back