Galvanized conduit in Garage

I was just curious - was wondering if it's the same there as in E&W, where nobody has been prosecuted for simply failing to notify, and if the people in Ireland were done because of dangerous work, not simply for doing work they shouldn't.

Sponsored Links
I was just curious - was wondering if it's the same there as in E&W, where nobody has been prosecuted for simply failing to notify, and if the people in Ireland were done because of dangerous work, not simply for doing work they shouldn't.
Think you're about right- there was one in Ireland earlier this year but that was dangerous as well as not notifying. Linky http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...ian-first-in-country-to-be-jailed-381726.html, same link is ostensibly in Electrics Outside UK BUT it seems to have been corrupted.......

then you need to be aware that Restricted Electrical Works cannot legally be carried out by anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).
Is the work the OP wants to do restricted?
It is highly likely, although without knowing precisely what he intends to do I can't be absolutely certain. http://www.walshelectrical.ie/electrical-services.html#restricted-works will explain what falls within the remit of Restricted Electrical Works.

People have been imprisoned for breaking this law with no part of the sentence suspended.
What sort of people, and what were the circumstances of their law-breaking?
A man described as an "unregistered electrician". He was gaoled for six months - three months for carrying out Restricted Electrical Works without being a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) and three months for falsely claiming to be an REC with the sentences to run consecutively.

that was dangerous as well as not notifying.
There is no evidence of that other than the use of the phrase "dangerous and illegal" in the article. This may be based on an assumption that illegal electrical work will be dangerous. No court transcript is given to back up the claim.

Incidentally there is no notification as such. There is just normal certification of work.

Sponsored Links
It is highly likely, although without knowing precisely what he intends to do I can't be absolutely certain.
Given that the page you link to contains lies, we can be absolutely certain that we should regard all of it with suspicion.

A man described as an "unregistered electrician". He was gaoled for six months - three months for carrying out Restricted Electrical Works without being a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) and three months for falsely claiming to be an REC with the sentences to run consecutively.
So fraudulent trading, then.

Has there ever been one prosecution of a DIYer (who didn't screw up) for carrying out Restricted Electrical Works without being a Registered Electrical Contractor, let alone one being imprisoned?

If you live within the 26-Counties then you need to be aware that Restricted Electrical Works cannot legally be carried out by anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

Yes - I live in the "26 counties", odd we don't feel the need to count them that often down here. So lets be clear about what the law says in the "26" counties, it illegal for anyone who is not a registered electrician to carry our restricted works in a domestic environment. These are defined as ...

From the Health and Safety Authority.

Restricted Electrical Works cover:
1. the installation, commissioning, inspection and testing of a new Electrical Installation which is fixed, fastened or mounted or otherwise secured so that its position does not change and requires connection or re-connection to the distribution network or the transmission network, as the case may be;
2. the modification, installation or replacement of a Distribution Board including customer tails on either side of the Main Protective Device or of an Electrical Installation in any of the special locations listed in Part 7 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations, as the case may be;
3. the installation or replacement of one or more circuits in an Electrical Installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices for such circuits on a Distribution Board; or
4. the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing Electrical Installations covered by Chapter 62 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations; in a Domestic Property.

I am adding a couple of sockets to an existing circuit and changing a few light switches.

People have been imprisoned for breaking this law with no part of the sentence suspended.

As we are still waiting for the people responsible for Priory Hall and the like to be locked up. I the current owner of a 'Celtic tiger' built home - I won't loose any sleep. I imagine you will be hard pressed to get the HSA (Health and Safety Authority) or DPP to file against a homeowner carrying out reasonable home improvements.

An REC would not need to ask any of these questions.

Visit the RECI website (www.reci.ie) to find an REC.

It will be checked by a REC in due course. To be clear, a REC sorted out the original horrible wiring in the main house, replaced the circuit board - it was the _first_ thing I did to the house to make it safe, so I am not insane. He will be back to due course, he can cast his eye over it then ....

Do you find hanging around forums and mis-quoting the law, makes you many friends?

Do you find hanging around forums and mis-quoting the law, makes you many friends?
I didn't misquote it. I linked to the full definition of restricted works. As an REC I am fully aware of the definitions of Restricted and Controlled Works.

I offered no opinion on whether what you were doing amounted to restricted works as you had not made it clear what it was you were doing/intending to do.

As for be-anal's claim that the gaoling was for pretending to be an REC, that simply isn't true. Only half of the sentence was for that. The other half was explicitly for illegally carrying out Restricted Electrical Works without being an REC.

And also be-anal, I can link to documents issued by bodies associated with the governance of the 26-Counties who refer to that state as the 26-Counties, so on that account once again you are wrong.

As for be-anal's claim that the gaoling was for pretending to be an REC, that simply isn't true. Only half of the sentence was for that. The other half was explicitly for illegally carrying out Restricted Electrical Works without being an REC.
How many people, who have not screwed up, and who have not done anything wrong in the context of trade, have been prosecuted, let alone imprisoned, for illegally carrying out Restricted Electrical Works without being an REC?

And also be-anal, I can link to documents issued by bodies associated with the governance of the 26-Counties who refer to that state as the 26-Counties, so on that account once again you are wrong.
"Associated with". Fellow liars?

screenshot_992.jpg

STOP LYING!

It's not 'Lies' people don't have to use the 'official' name for something or somewhere if they don't want to, and in any case it was no doubt called Derry long before it officially became Londonderry (after shameful colonial conquest I assume?) Ireland is an island and as such any location on it is in Ireland.

It's not 'Lies' people don't have to use the 'official' name for something or somewhere if they don't want to, and in any case it was no doubt called Derry long before it officially became Londonderry
It was indeed - or the Irish spelling.

(after shameful colonial conquest I assume?)
This really pısses me off.

Yes, the same shameful colonial conquest as perpetrated on the ENGLISH previously.

Ireland is an island and as such any location on it is in Ireland.
It is but clearly Risteard's motives are political.

It's not 'Lies' people don't have to use the 'official' name for something or somewhere if they don't want to, and in any case it was no doubt called Derry long before it officially became Londonderry (after shameful colonial conquest I assume?) Ireland is an island and as such any location on it is in Ireland.
More lies.

I offered no opinion on whether what you were doing amounted to restricted works as you had not made it clear what it was you were doing/intending to do.

Well you where clearly doing a number of underhand things:-

You are 'arguing by inflation', you point out there is are rules for doing electrical work and then leaving the reader to infer that those rules govern what the are doing. It was only a later post that you clarified that you didn't know precisely what I was doing. You are 'arguing by authority', I am a REC, there are rules, you don't know the rules and I know the rules, therefore you should yield to my authority - without being specific about which rules govern what they are doing.

DIYNot should be a forum for people to be able to ask open and honest questions, without risk of being shouted down.
Perhaps next time you will clarify first and offer opinion second?

Last edited:
The English conquered themselves?
I'm glad you used that word.
Have you ever heard of William the conqueror?
Why do you think he was called that? Who did he conquer?

It was the English/British empire conquering Ireland that I was referring to, or did I imagine that?
You did not imagine it but the English were just slaves to the rulers who carried it out having had it done to them previously.

So, it is not "The English" you should hate but those who are still in charge.
A lot of them still have French names and still "own" huge parts of the land.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back