Using existing galvanized steel conduit

Very much depends on the state of the conduit, it may be a lost cause but on the other hand it may be a nice straight piece of 25mm galv, that's as good as the day it went in hence no problem,
Yes, it might be. However, my bones still tell me that it would be a spectacle worth watching, if not only 'just in case' :)

At the least there are likely to be bends at both ends, where it rises from the (hopeful!) depths up to the surface.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would agree with many of the points made from 3% not 5% to water pipes surviving however an estate of houses all with water or gas pipes acting as earth (however gas were normally plastic covered even before they became all plastic) would have such an area of metal that no one pipes would get the brunt of the erosion.

However where only one house has buried earthed pipework it is a different story.

But my main point was not if a shed is an appliance or it will likely be eroded away but he needs the electrician doing the paperwork to decide what he will accept.

But my main point was not if a shed is an appliance or it will likely be eroded away but he needs the electrician doing the paperwork to decide what he will accept.
I think we can all agree with that - and I think that even the OP also accepts it.

Kind Regards, John

You might be able to get a 4.0mm² or 6.0mm² split concentric feed through the existing conduit.

OP, where abouts in Yorkshire are you?

Sponsored Links
OP, where abouts in Yorkshire are you?

I'm in York.

I think I'm going to get the spade out as there is another factor I hadn't considered till now.

The house end of the steel conduit finishes under a suspended wood floor, at some point I'm removing this and having it concreted. This would mean I would need to extend the steel and route it to a wall + have earth connection access etc.

Adding up all the pro's and con's this tips the balance towards digging, :( [/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back