T&E In Round Conduit 20mm

It could possibly be that the board could not facilitate an RCBO.
But to say that this electrician was wrong, is a little unfair, they have made a potentially unsafe circuit, safer. Then offered advice on improvement/compliance.

Sponsored Links
It could possibly be that the board could not facilitate an RCBO.
Indeed. As I wrote:
... it does seem a little odd ... One wonders whether there was perhaps a practical issue in fitting an RCBO into the CU?
But to say that this electrician was wrong, is a little unfair, they have made a potentially unsafe circuit, safer. Then offered advice on improvement/compliance.
I agree. As you say, he made the circuit safer, albeit still non-compliant, but did give advice as to what further improvement was desirable. Only if he didn't think of (but then see a problem with) the RCBO solution would I criticise him a bit. Indeed, the alternative - to have refused to change the MCB (making the installation safer) unless the RCD issue was also addressed - could itself have been considered to be irresponsible.

Kind Regards, John

I agree that if it's a case of customer doesn't want to spend extra cash then walking away with no CPD change is unreasonable. We are not, however, in this situation.

The OP, who seems like a reasonable chap who wants a compliant installation, has called upon an electrician to rectify what we have highlighted to be a serious fault with the circuit. The said electrician, to use the words of the OP, has then 'suggested' having an RCD in the circuit as well for 'additional safety'. For a set of garage sockets I strongly suggest will be used for outdoor equipment, by ordinary persons.

We have to go back a few editions/amendments these days to not understand that in this circuit an RCD is a must safety requirement, not something to suggest, but something to tell the customer than in order for the circuit to be safe and compliant, an RCD must be fitted at the same time. If this point if the customer starts arguing back about requirements and cost then so be it and you can decide at that point what to do with your better judgement, but I get the feeling that's not what happened here.

The OP, who seems like a reasonable chap who wants a compliant installation, has called upon an electrician to rectify what we have highlighted to be a serious fault with the circuit. The said electrician, to use the words of the OP, has then 'suggested' having an RCD in the circuit as well for 'additional safety'. For a set of garage sockets I strongly suggest will be used for outdoor equipment, by ordinary persons.
I may be over-benevolent in giving 'the benefit of the doubt' when there is uncertainty in my mind but I can't help but feel that we may be being starved of some information and/or receiving less-than-verbatim reports about what has been said, since what we're being told does not easily add up. However, if my 'benefit of the doubt' is misplaced, then I would fully agree with you. [you are also slightly guilty of less-than-verbatim quoting, since you added in 'additional' to "for safety".]

Also bear in mind that, AFAIAA, prior to the OP calling the second electrician, no-one in this forum had made any comment about RCD protection. The electrician may therefore have been simply asked to confirm that the MCB needed changing from 32A to 20A and, if so, to make that change.

It would, IMO, only require that "suggested" had 'lost a little in translation' for the situation be rather different from what you are imagining - but, of course, not everyone is so much into 'benefit of the doubt' as I am :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies.

The second electrician changed the mcb to 16a and not 20a as I thought, my mistake.

He did give me paperwork for the change of the mcb and made further suggestions of the rcd. I have asked him to return and rectify.

The first electrician I got from the website "myhammer" and he also gave paperwork, a receipt.

I want to thank all you guys for your advice it a shame I didn't seek your advice before the work commenced and could have saved myself a headache and money.

Thank you all.

The second electrician changed the mcb to 16a and not 20a as I thought, my mistake.
20A would almost cetainly have been OK, bit there's nothing dangerous about 16A - just limits the total cirrent you can draw from those sockets.
He did give me paperwork for the change of the mcb and made further suggestions of the rcd. I have asked him to return and rectify.
In view of the discussion that's been going on here, I wonder exactly how strong the 'suggestion' about RCD protection was. Did he explain that, without RCD protection, the circuit was non-compliant with the Wiring (hence effectively also Building) Regulations and/or did he indicate that, quite apart from the regs, it was not really very safe (per current thinking) without RCD protection? - i.e. did he leave you with impression that it was something which 'must' be addressed?

Kind Regards, John

I know the regs now allow you not to fit an RCD when making amendments in all circumstances but this is basically a new circuit now that the CPD has changed and it wouldn't have cost much to fit an RCBO there and then.

Although that appeared in the Draft for Public Comment, I would challenge you to find that in BS 7671:2008 (2011) + Corrigendum. I don't believe you will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back