Conduit Selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All

Ive just been laying astro and should of really put in conduit so at a later date I can wire up my garage with 6mm SWA from the house CU. (as I had to dig the garden up anyway). Having never used conduit underground before what would be the best to lay in as provision so when I do get round to sorting the SWA I can just pull it through to the relevant places with guide wire inside the conduit runs?

The SWA will go from the outside wall of my house and run about 10 meters to the garage wall. Both using adaptable boxes. I was going to join to 6mm T+E at the boxes to run to the consumer units but I might just use the SWA, undecided yet.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You want duct, not conduit. Comes in long coils. Google cable duct, civil duct, twin wall duct etc.

Dear undecided,

If you have calculated that you need 6mm² SWA, why not just dig a trench at least 450mm deep, drop teh SWA in, half fill, lay warning tape and then finish off?

If you havent calculated your cable size then you'll still need the trench, and drop in a length of utility duct that's big enough for your cable (Google it). Run in a draw rope & use swept bends at each end of the duct or you will have problems pulling the SWA through later.

Sponsored Links
Dear undecided,

If you have calculated that you need 6mm² SWA, why not just dig a trench at least 450mm deep, drop teh SWA in, half fill, lay warning tape and then finish off?

If you havent calculated your cable size then you'll still need the trench, and drop in a length of utility duct that's big enough for your cable (Google it). Run in a draw rope & use swept bends at each end of the duct or you will have problems pulling the SWA through later.

I don't have the SWA yet otherwise I would have.

And then there is always the notification (if new circuit), inspection and testing to consider.
The route and method would need to be verified as compliant.

Please note that most cables these days are stamped with the year of manufacture. So any inspector could see right through your scheme.

Please note that most cables these days are stamped with the year of manufacture. So any inspector could see right through your scheme.
Ah, but "the old cable got damaged and I replaced it" can deal with that.

Not that I'd condone ignoring the law. I'd suggest that the OP finds a friendly sparky who he can work with to design the circuit, and notify when it's installed. I've yet to find someone who would complain at not having to do the hard work (burying the cable) :rolleyes:

Hi Simon

That's exactly what I do. I only say what i did for the professionals amongst us to have a quick pop.
I want to be a spark when I leave the military in the next 5 years. I'm competent at most electrical jobs I just can't sign off. I wouldn't touch anything electrical if I wasn't sure what I was doing.

Not that I'd condone ignoring the law. I'd suggest that the OP finds a friendly sparky who he can work with to design the circuit, and notify when it's installed.
Indeed. In fact, as far as complying with the law is concerned, the OP could presumably get the 'friendly sparky' to just install (and notify) the new circuit as far as the first box (putting a socket on it if he really felt that was necessary to legitimise it as 'a circuit'). after which (given thathe appears to be in England), the OP could legally 'extend/modify' that circuit with his SWA etc. without any further notification.

However, I also agree that it would be best to get the electrician to at least advise on the design of the whole of the circuit (including the SWA and whatever is on the end of it) - but that's a different matter, not directly related to the law.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back